Taste for Bass Hitting Stocks

Paul D

Western Morning News

TASTE FOR SEA BASS 'HITTING STOCKS'

PAUL GREAVES

11:00 - 24 May 2008

British stocks of wild sea bass are running low thanks to the demand being generated by restaurants and celebrity chefs, fishing experts have warned.

Sea bass, which is caught in large quantities off the South West coast, has undergone an image transformation in the last decade and is now a staple of dining menus across the country.

Sales have trebled in the last two years alone and the amount landed in the UK has risen by 75 per cent.

Now the Bass Anglers' Sportfishing Society has warned that the fashionable fish may have to be taken off the menu for good if its numbers continue to fall.

John Leballeur of the society said: "I have never seen a period when the numbers of young bass have been so low for so long.

"Across the southern UK, there has been a decline."

The group has now called a halt to catching the fish for three months during the spawning season.

Recent figures from Seafish, the marine fishing authority, show sales have more than trebled since 2005, jumping from

Scientists state the stock is sustainable = Agree with this, fish away, I am sure we can ensure it becomes unsustainable.

Scientists state the stock is collapsing and should be a moratorium on catches = We have a bycatch problem, better increase the quotas ....

The world has gone mad !

However, fishermen in the Westcountry say there is no sign of sea bass disappearing.

A slightly controversial thought from me - but year on year for the past 4/5 years the bass fishing seems to be getting better... possibly a result of my/our knowledge getting better and bigger, faster, more capable boats and tackle - but the bass fishing to me seems to be good.

Bass in supermarkets are 99% farmed = sustainable

Bass in resuturants with high price tags are often 'line caught' = sustainable

.....where do the beam trawlled ones go??