No bream

fritchy

Hi,

I was out on Poole Patch on Saturday late afternoon and evening. I got some Makerel, then got plenty of wrasse, and some pouting (nothing big, but a couple of very pretty cookoo wrasse) on rag and squid.

One thing I didn't see was any bream. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Am I fishing in the wrong part of the patch? (I was at the poole-end of the patch, fairly well out...plenty of pot bouys around me).

Cheers, Mike F

Try the bournemouth end as we have found the "outer patch" to be more productive than the poole end for bream, we also struggled to find bream over the weekend and think it may of been "one of those weekends" rather than doing something wrong. If there was wrasse there I would of thought a good chance for bream. We find the bream feed at certain parts of the time in larger numbers so have a frantic couple of hours then no/less bream for a bit. Also try using peeler crab, although about pricy can have excellent results. Sometimes casting away from the boat improves the catch rate of bream and if fishing directly under the boat will find you do not catch as many.

PS,

Additional to above comments; at this time of year, with plenty of mackeral around, I find good sized macky strip , cut on the diagonal, on a size 1 or 1/0 picks up better sized bream [ and occasional bass ] better than rag and avoids the pesky wrasse. Fish two , pennel style, with a small weight lobbed away from boat and slowly rolling around in the tide....... most tricky thing is finding a clear spot near the rough ground to avoid losing too much tackle.... but go 'rotten bottom' just in case,

Tight lines,

Alun.