windless anchor systems

Gas

Hi every one

I have and love my Quicksilver 630SD I would like to install windless anchor.

Is there anyone in the club who has done so?

I have been told that I may need to have the front of the boat strengthend and it depends on what model I choose to cost approx (

Hi Craig

Have you checked with quicksilver if it is an option to fit one? If so they will have a model to suggest

I have one on the bow of alfresco it is a fairly heavy unit with a gypsy to take 12 to 14mm rope and calibrated 9.5mm chain, with deck and console controls.

I would suggest talking to suppliers about one to suit the size of rope and chain you use and matching the power and size to what you use.

Check with Pete at Quay West Chandlers I am sure he can help you out.

You will need to run heavy cable to and from the unit as well as suitable controls so remember to allow for the cost and weight of those, and if it is self stowing you will need a fairly large locker inside the boat for the warp and chain to run into.

Fitting a windlass to the bow adds a lot of fwd weight both on the water and on the trailer, so please remember to take that into account

And as you say you may have to beef up the fwd deck to give the strenth and stiffness you require.

Hope that helps biggrin.gif

Charlie

Hi every one

I have and love my Quicksilver 630SD I would like to install windless anchor.

Is there anyone in the club who has done so?

I have been told that I may need to have the front of the boat strengthend and it depends on what model I choose to cost approx (

Duncan

Last year Jackie and i spent quite a bit of time out by ourselves and she feels if any thing was to happen she would like that extra bit of security on being able to hold fast while help arrived.

As we all try to look for that extra bit of saftey.

OK

I will make the following points then

1. I never never use the windlass to lower the anchor other than in shallow crowded anchorages. In any depth it takes too long.

2. Most installations have the switches at the windlass for good reason - you need to attend to the damm thing on recovery! Especially valid for smaller craft

3. Most small craft don't have the anchor locker (chain locker) necessay for the volume of chain needed to be able to anchor in most of the areas we operate in (200ft minimum assuming 60ft depth) and realistically you will easliy find yourself in 90ft so 300ft best.

4. If you don't want to have to take care you need all chain and this would be 6mm on your boat. Even 200ft 6mm chain is going to be the same as carrying a reasonanably sized adult sitting on the bow all the time............

5. The windlass and cabling weighs a fair bit as well

They are fantastic for easily anchoring and recovering in and around the harbour in shallow water like Studland, Swanage and you would be fine with 50ft 6mm chain and a remote switch at the helm - we only have small tidal movements etc Don't forget to rig a snubber for safety and comfort.

Having a proper anchor attached to 100m mixed rode in a locker would be the safety item.

I must agree with Duncan again

Its abalance of what you gain and what it costs in terms of work to the boat costs and balance of the boat ashore and afloat.

I have the system and so far I have only used it once outside the harbour.

It does have its uses and in the shallows of the harbour when used on all chain its great to start the engine and push the switch on the dash to lift the anchor from the helm position.

Charlie biggrin.gif