Slipper Limpet

Sprinter

I thought i would consult the Oracle that is Poole Bay Small Boats

After a walk across Sandbanks beach this morning with the hound i found millions upon millions of Slipper Limpet all along the high water mark, there was also lots of empty razor fish shells as well.

I collected a bag full and spent the afternoon shelling them, I now have maybe a litre or more of peeled limpets and i was just going to freeze them when i thought i would consult the people that would probably know better.

so freeze salt or some other method of preserving them?

I did consider freezing half and salting the other half so i would toughen the salted ones up a bit for beach fishing, The frozen ones i was going to try filling squid with then using bait elastic to keep them inside for added scent trail maybe for the comp tongue.gif

any thought welcome and go grab your own free bait.

Regards

Paul

Edited by Zed

Thanks Paul, George and I have now got enough shelled slipper limpets to fill three "takeaway" containers, and have lobbed them in the freezer. Not sure of the best approach for long life bait - but freezing and stuffing squid with them sounds a good technique!

For interest, a very full carrier bag can be collected dead quickly, but takes over an hour to shell and separate out the meat, even working a production line approach with two of you!

There are literally millions down at Sandbanks, and the smell of them will be natural groundbait for a couple of weeks to come - especially on the bigger tides next weekend.

Saw Mike Y. down there, and he reported most of the beach being netted.

OK - so now I have all of this lovely bait...which fish find them irresistable again?

Mike

Thanks Paul, George and I have now got enough shelled slipper limpets to fill three "takeaway" containers, and have lobbed them in the freezer. Not sure of the best approach for long life bait - but freezing and stuffing squid with them sounds a good technique!

For interest, a very full carrier bag can be collected dead quickly, but takes over an hour to shell and separate out the meat, even working a production line approach with two of you!

There are literally millions down at Sandbanks, and the smell of them will be natural groundbait for a couple of weeks to come - especially on the bigger tides next weekend.

Saw Mike Y. down there, and he reported most of the beach being netted.

OK - so now I have all of this lovely bait...which fish find them irresistable again?

Mike

Just out of interest, where did they all come from?

they nearly always get swept up after a good storm, they frequent muscle/clam and oyster beds. big storms sweep them away and a few tides after the storm they hit the beaches.

I'm nosy and checked Google whilst putting off shelling them all.

one carrier back took me an hour maybe a touch more to shell, not to long really and i checked Wessex angling earlier and they were