Connecting VHF to GPS

Newboy

I have fitted my Nav 7100 and Matrix 20 f/f gps.

The only instruction I found regarding connecting GPS to VHF was in the Nav instructions: It said 'connection to GPS.' pointing to one of the many leads. All connectors on my MAtrix is socketed/plugged. The mentioned lead is a 7 strand wire with 5 wires marked 'not in use' for 7000/7100 and one 'GPS +' and the other 'GPS -'.

Anyone have a similar setup and if yes, how did you connect it up?

First confirm that your Matrix FF/GPS is able to send/receive "NMEA" signals. I'm not familiar with the Matrix, so I don't know if it accepts these signals.

Your Matrix documentation should tell you if any of the connectors provide and "NMEA OUT" and/or an "NMEA IN".

Bascially you need to connect the "NMEA OUT" from the Matrix to the "NMEA IN" on the 7100 VHF. And the "NMEA IN" from the Matrix to the "NMEA OUT" on the 7100 (if it has this facillity).

You say the 7100 describes the signals as GPS + and GPS -. The GPS + will be the "NMEA IN" signal (receiving the GPS co-ordinates from your GPS), the GPS - will be the Ground or Earth lead. At least, this is my best guess. I've not seen them marked like this before.

Then, in the setup menu for each instrument you need to set up the communication port so that they are sending "NMEA" signals. The default is usually "NONE".

Bob F.