Fake Bait

sTTu

As the impending launch day of my (as yet un named) Merry Fisher approaches, I'm starting to think about getting a couple of rods and bits of tackle together. Flicking through the fishing mags I'm seeing ads for fake baits....do they work ? It would be great if they do, making spur of the moment fishing trips easy.

ANY help or advice appreciated.

Stuart - in my limited experience fake is not great, unless your trying to invoke a predatory response(ie with lure or feather etc) you also need a good sent trail as this is what will allow the fish to find and identify your bait. I may well stand to be corected by others with more experience but I have tried sented gulp type baits against the real thing whilst in Florida keys last year and the real thing caught more fish...end of

However if its convenience your after one thing ive used a couple of times this year and definatley works is "seabag". Attach to your anchor or even better sink with 1lb lead directly under the boat, give it ten minutes and you'll be in K9 heaven(also attracts other species - you just gotta get through the dogs). Not a cheap way to go though at

When I was a nipper (no snide comments please wink.gif ) used to watch a guy fish for pike on our local lake.

His rig comprised of a huge beachcasting rod and sea sized fixed spool reel and a cuddly toy rat loaded with trebles.

His first few casts used to go pretty well and the rat was dragged across the surface and it did on occasion catch big pike.

As the rat became more and more waterlogged it couldn't be cast as far and used to sink quite rapidly but it still caught fish

He was the only guy I ever saw use that method there and he used to fish in short bursts over a few hours .

I think the casting and retrieval knackered him. rolleyes.gif

I always wondered if he ever told his little girl what he did with her toys cool.gif

Peteg

sTTu

For spur of the moment baits

Summertime - bassing using plugs, Pollack in autumn using hokkias over rocky ground, Dec/ January Herring in Poole Harbour....using tiny hokkais

Frozen Sandeel - a few packs doesnt take up any space in the freezer

Frozen Squid - use from when the mackerel dissappear to when they return - if you buy the small boxes, OK its more expensive, but again doesnt take up much space.

Hurry up though and get out fishing soon - Feb/March are dire months.

Paul