marks for light tackle

Member Removed

Hi all,

I originally posted this after trying to help ADAM F with some pc issues.

----All I ask for in return is some advice on fishing in the harbour for mixed species. Any specific marks for a bit of evening fun. Tides/tactics/baits would be much appreciated. I want to use lightish gear (15lb line)----

He asked about the boat and said you guys were a helpful bunch.

It a collegues boat - 16ft mayland fisherman with 40HP engine called "White Magic".

Thanks all.

Hi Benny, how are you and the Jets? If this quip goes over your head then it prooves how old I am and how young you are biggrin.gif

I take it you mean Poole harbour and Bay? that being the case here goes..

First the boring bits.........

We have very fast running tides in most areas around here so the boat MUST have a good anchor and at least 100ft preferably more of anchor rope. ('tis the only way you'll stop if the engine fails)

The harbour entrance is hell on a summer weekend try to make your trip through it with the tide but if not keep to the side. Left going out to fish Bournemouth area. Right going out to fish Old Harry & Swanage area.

The tides are gentler on the Bournemouth side of things and there are some good fishing marks out in the bay. On a chart you will see Poole Patches (both inner & Outer) You can find them by the density of pot barker bouys in their vacinity.

Drifting with the current and the wind is good too anywhere on a band about 1/4 mile wide from Boscombe to Bournemouth. For more info join our happy band. I mean they took me so they will take anybody mate. blink.gif

Mike

Hi Benny

I would only fish the Harbour as a last resort, you will catch lots of small chequers anywhere in the harbour, the odd plaice up the wytch channel. Try around Brownsea Castle for pollock, wrasse and pout. Ragworm in the harbour is top bait, sandeel and crab close second.

As Mike says above the Poole outer patch would be a good place to start. This time of year you should have no problem catching Bream, wrasse, pout, Pollock, smoothies, occasionally Bass and the ever present lsd's, to name but a few. You won't need a lot of weight here (2-8oz) so fishing light will give the best sport. 12lb class tackle will be more than adequate copeing with most situations and you can fish lighter at times. All the mainstream baits will work here, crab for smoothies and other species, ragworm will attract all but usually smaller species, Mackerel will catch all especially lsd's,squid for the Bream, sandeel or fillets of good for most species

Hope that helps

Martin

Thanks guys,

I will certainly try the marks suggested. Yes the boat is on a trailer and we normally launch from parkstone yacht club. I am a member of christchurch angling club so permits is no issue. I'll let you know how I get on! Think well try the outer patch first.

Benny (formerly of the jets) ....maybe I getting on too.