Back after hols

munterhunter

Drifted for maccy on patch managed 20 or so so went at anchor on mark a 2lb bream for me and a 3lb 2oz bream for nick and a missed run on a maccy flapper (too eager to grab that screaming reel!) on first drops of the day! then manage bream all 1 1/2 to 2lb, wrasse and another run on flapper let him run and bang into him got my 20-30 pro boat and 7000c3 screaming off and after a min or so and a few surges drops it, reel in to find hook on pennel rig bent, so did a gordon ramsay impression! 30 mins later flapper rig is off again (this time with bigger hooks) really struggle to get the beast of the bottom only 6oz of lead and then the bloddy knot parts and another gordon impression, dont know if conger tope or rays . Nick lost a 2ft long squid before the net doh! carry on banging out wrasse bream and pout, decided to go for smuts and land 3 5lbers nick has a huge run on his rag/peeler cockail and his tidecutter 12-20 is bent over double clucth on his shimano is tightened up but still running and then it dops it! a bent 3/0 hook and another gordon impression! then manage 2x2lb bass so think Nicks lost fish was either a nice bass or a good smoothie. Finished of day tackling down and bagging some maccy for winter/short trips

All those bent hooks sounds like the hooks are to weak or the Clutch is to tight.

I use Viravas Big Mouth Extra's in 6/0

They are from Veals Mail order, They are both sharp and tough and the small barb makes them easier to get into the fish.

At least you were among the bigger fish, so thats a good sign, screeming reels sounds like tope or big smoothounds to me.

Better luck next time

Charlie

I use mustad uptide hooks or eagle claw circle hooks for the bottom hook and then use a 4/0 5/0 nickle mustad hook for the top hook on pennel rigs. After this weekend will be going circle hook or 6/0 uptide on bottom and a 4/0 uptide hook on top. For smuts using peeler and rag I use 3/0 uptide, nick prefers the fine wire hooks as better bait presentation (I think this is from all the years of beach fishing he has), however am trying to coax him towards the uptide hooks for when we are going for smuts and bass.

Fine wire hooks are great for bait presentation.

But a good fish from deep water and a large tide can easily straighten them during the time it takes to get the fish to the boat.

I have never found Bait presentation for the bigger fish to be a problem using the thicker gauge uptide style hooks.

I used mustads for years but recently have converted to the sharper Viravas.

Charlie biggrin.gif

I use mustad uptide hooks pattern 79515 and havent had a problem to date, Great for bait presentation and with a forged bend are quite strong. I think there brilliant hooks. Either that or I havent been catching the biguns on em biggrin.gif

Nb I wouldnt use them for tope though ph34r.gif There good but not that good.

Martin