Not The 48-hour Comp

Mike Fox

We plan to be afloat tomorrow. the jury is still out for Sunday. Off Swanage somewhere is likely, with the tides the way they are. I think we'll use the slack tides to try a few of the newly-shared club marks (as in the Members-Only Section), and test out the updated electronics.

Taken the conscious decision NOT to fish the comp, as the specimen format has proven to be difficult (if not impossible!) for us to compete with faster purpose-built angling boats who can move quickly to a wider variety of more distant marks. We can't seem to break the 80% specimen level, seem unable to find the quality fish, and need lots more practice!

Had there been a species element we would have joined in, and gone for a dozen or more. Hope this can be included in future years for us slower boats restricted to the more inshore marks who struggle with the larger fish.

Hope to see some of you out there, and if you smell freshly ground coffee wafting on the summer breeze, feel free to scrounge a cup!

Good luck for all those who are in the comp.

Mike, Carol and George

Ground baiting with coffee dregs - bound to get more than one PBSBAC vessel close with that. A new nautical term "coffee rafting"?

Will keep an eye/ear out for you both.

AHoy.

Would love to catch an undulate Paul, as have never caught one before! What do they taste like?

Mike and Alan - you would be more than welcome. If we find the alleged undulate/blonde/small eyed hotspot (or anything other than a doggie), you will be the first I tell (on Channel 6 low power?).

Imagine a 3-way raftup on one anchor in 100' of water!

With a bit of luck we'll get to try a few new marks and will consider moving until we find something interesting.

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

Mike, you should have a punt!

You have smooth hound, big conger, bullhuss, undulate ray, mullet, bream, cuckoo wrass, bass, etc. I think you hav a very good chance of a 100% fish at close range!. If a turb or brill from alderney or shambles dosn't win then my guess would be a bully or cuckoo wrass from an inshore or possible a big bream may get the nod as it did last year!

Im working, but good luck to everyone getting out!