Alba 6lb Class "longboat"

TomBettle

Hows this for a light tackle story-and perfectly true. smile.gif

When on Holiday in Cairns Australia I booked a days fishing in one of the fast dorys they use there.

Was hoping to go offshore towards the reef but reports were that they weren't catching much so skipper decided to fish the estuary and mangrove areas.- Big Crocodiles in there blink.gifblink.gif

Tackle was all supplied- I had never seen such lightweight tackle (for sea fishing)- very light spinning rods about 6 -7 ft in length and baitcasting reels.

We were after Barramundi using tiny livebait. wink.gif

Guess what - No Barramundi but I did catch and Land a Hammerhead Shark

Boy did that rod bend!!!! ohmy.gif

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

It was all of 8 inches long sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Pete

Rich

I liked the Suveran, but not the price.... totally different balance and action to the Conolon.....

But bought a Conolon 8'6" 12lb last year.. and avoided buyers remorse... you know the feeling when youve just shelled out loads of cash and feel youve been "done up properly", and you are not 'worthy' of owning it....

oooh .....Lifes too complicated

• 1 month later...

Rich - what uglystiks are you using, because the 1480 15lb class model is 8.5ft long, and a significantly better rod than the 15lb class uglystik elite. It may not be the lightest rod, but it's a brilliant drift wrecking rod.

Other rods you may be tempted by - ABU premium 12-20 or 12-30 - I had a pair of 12-30's and the alloy butts are a liability as you inadvertently tighten the reel seat as they're bent, then the butt can't straighten and they get a premanent bend in them. If you bend them into wrecks with 30lb line eventually you will snap the butt, and we had the tip break on one of them, I think there's simply not enough glass in the blank. They're nice for pirking though. AlderneyBassman has a 12-20

On the subject of light rods - doesn't conoflex do a 6lb class fibreglass 'pollack rod'? I'm sure Ian Burrett on anglersnet raves about them.

A friend of mine loves his Northwestern 12lb class carbon jobby - quite a parabolic action that bends like mad with 10lb pollack, yet he's had a 40lb tope on it.