Bass Boat Comp

Member Removed

to all

i am the manager of loni's angling centre in new milton, hampshire. for next year i plan to run a bass boat comp from lymington, knowing that you have some well run matches and basicly i would like to know when your comps are next year as not to clash with yours, also if any of you would be interested and any feedback you may have on the idea

many thanks

garry

to all

i am the manager of loni's angling centre in new milton, hampshire. for next year i plan to run a bass boat comp from lymington, knowing that you have some well run matches and basicly i would like to know when your comps are next year as not to clash with yours, also if any of you would be interested and any feedback you may have on the idea

many thanks

garry

I think it would be great to have a Bass comp

I'd certainly be keen if it was catch and release, but not so sure if it was a keep it to win it comp.

Chances are it will be won by a large fish 12lb plus and it would be a shame if that had to be killed for the sake of a tin trophy.

Just my opinion

Tom

Edited by TomBettle

Hi Gary, a good idea in principle, but one has to consider the target species and the pressures upon it. If the comp is for the largest fish, then if you intend to have a "weigh at shore comp", then only a certain year group of fish will be culled, which obviously has implications upon the pyramid of fish in our waters.

If the comp was to be run along the lines of the Bass trophy put up by B.A.S.S. in our own club open this year, then I for one would be interested. I am personally not up for a slaughter of fish for a trophy or cash prize.

Far too much work is currently being done, not just by PBSBAC club members, but across the board Nationally to safeguard our Bass stocks, which a competition targetted at this species, may undermine.

It may be that you have already considered this, and have plans in place, if so, then yes, I am interested in a catch and release comp, but not in one which involves unecessary culling.

Rich

Gazza, hows it going mate.....Hope all is well, I will pop in to the shop soon with the top....or why dont you come along to the next club meeting, its open to everyone, you maybe able to get a few ideas about bass comp ideas.......If you want a lift, let me know.

Dan

P.S Lonis AC, a decent shop run by decent people............and good sponsors of bournemouth premier league footy club Hordle Spurs FC...(mine and Doms team dry.gif )

A tenner plz for the plug Gaz...haha

Edited by Gnasher

In principal only bringing one fish to the scales is OK, however you'll find that people will catch 10 Bass, dig around in the box of dead fish to find the biggest and only weigh that one in.

In addition, it is just as bad killing a superb big fish as it is several smaller fish. Ultimately the big fish is a healthy breeding fish, probably responsible for far more seasons worth of schoolies than the one that has only just reached breeding size.

I would suggest:

Each boat must carry a cheap digital camera complete with tape measure.

The fishes length and girth are taken, complete with photo's as evidence and it is the measurements that are used to guage the biggest fish.

It is up to the angler to decide if he wants to keep the fish for his own purposes, but he should be free to return it if he wants.

Tom

Edited by TomBettle

Hi Garry biggrin.gif

Let me introduce myself, I am the Fish recorder for the Club and part of the Job is to arrange the dates for the annual Competitions

As Maverick says the dates are not yet set and will not go firm until after the Committee Meeting in January 2007.

I am sure you can see from just a few replies that our Club is very keen on Conservation of all species especially the Slow Growing Bass.

To give your comp a wide appeal It would need to be run in a transparently fair way with a great consideration towards conserving these fish.

May I invite you to join us for our December meeting next Thursday evening. when BASS are giving a presentation after the meeting regarding the species.

I am sure we will all learn from it and you may make contact with experianced Bass anglers about their views on the subject of Bass only comps.

Best Redards

Charlie biggrin.gif

Gary, the finer points of the Bass trophy in our open was to receive a card on the day of the comp in a pack up, then get out and catch your Bass, weigh it and photograph it alongside the card, to establish that is was actually caught on the day. On this forum, under the Bass Project header, there are a couple of Bass length weight charts, which give a reasonable weight for your caught fish. Scales bounce at sea, and anglers will obviously go for the heaviest weight if they know a decent prize is at stake.

There was a 50% specimen size for ALL fish weighed in at our Open, and I personally feel that this worked very very well, with plenty of fish being returned alive to the sea after the weigh in. I only saw one dead fish in the sea, at the weigh in, which was a LSD, so the 50% minimum at scales worked well for conservation. We did have a 50% for the Bass, but very few were in fact caught, either through not being targetted, or just being later in the season, so the trophy went to a very small fish.

These fish dont travel well in livewells, so this isnt really a viable option, especially when most small boats aren't equipped with such luxuries!! So perhaps a photo as evidence, along with a length of the fish and the weight will give the judge a reasonable idea of the size of fish caught. The charts we have on here are from studies done over a period of a decade or so, by CEFAS, who are paid to deliver this data to the Government Departments who require this info in order to update current legislation. If you wish, I can get hold of a copy of the data for you, so you may download it onto a lappy, and run it on excel.

One thing that this chart doesnt allow for, is skinny fish, which I have found were quite abundant later in the season this year. Fish that should have weighed, say, eight pounds by their length, were in fact a fair bit lighter, so the weight charts do not take this trend into account. Whichever you decide upon, please post back, so members may have the chance to enter.

Rich

Gary,

If your comp were to measure and return then I would definitely be interested in fishing this as well. ( I visit your shop pretty regularily BTW - I handed you some leaflets in the past ).

I imagine a certain mark might get a bit busy though ! smile.gif

Gary,

Whats the main aim of the comp?

Is it soley to promote the Tackle shop?

if so im sure the commitee would be happy to discuss some initiatives with you

Why not come to the meeting Thursday or drop me or Maverick a PM so we can discuss details offline

Cheers

Paul

Hi Gary

I hope we see you next week for more discussion

July would be a good month for the comp as this year some excellent fish were recorded during July including a fish equalling the Club record and then another of 13lb 6 that set a new record

By the way both of these fish were returned as were several other doubles so you will see that our Members take the fish conservation issue seriously[without prompting or any other Club incentive] and enjoy returning even the best fish to continue their breeding.

Tight lines

Charlie biggrin.gif

I went with Gary Mann (manager Lonis AC)to the meeting, but it was very busy, and time to discuss a comp was hard. He isnt looking to use this site to promote the comp in any form, but hes interested in Bass, and if a comp was to go ahead, he would like ideas of how to run it without culling lots of fish. If it stops the culling then i would of thought most would be open to suggesting ideas to help him.

Any more ideas please? I know there is some useful info already, but the more ideas the better. Maybe we could tag the fish??

Dan

Dan, I spoke with the guys after the presentation, and the general consensus of opinion was that bass dont do too well in livewells on small boats. One suggestion to combat culling any fish in such a comp, was to issue a tab at the sign in to be included in a photograh of the fish, but also use a tape measure to show the length of the fish, in photos. Just a thought.

Rich

Rich, we thought along the same lines.

The idea we discussed was that only one fish was to be entered by each angler, by having a digital picture that included the fish being measured and the pic would also include the signing in card. The longest fish would win.

He has healthy support from the local charter anglers and im sure whatever he does will be a sucsess.