Poole Bay 4th And 5th

Paul D

Fished both 4th November and 5th November.

On the 4th with Richard as crew, followed Enticer out to a wreck for a go at the bass and eel, no luck on both accounts, although I dropped a good fish whilst at anchor and just before the anchor tripped and fortunately didn't get stuck in the wreck.

Tried to find the Happsburg but neither myslef nor Gordon could track this down.

Back towards Dolphin sands and spotted what looked a promising mark en-route.

Stopped to fish this but only dogs showing.

Tried another good looking mark to end the day and had around 10 whiting to 1 1/2 lb. ( I suspect this latter mark is the "cod motorway" that Bob F refers to. Its currrently closed though unsure.gif ).

Nice day out nonetheless and had a good race in with Gastrononaught, until my GPS turned itself off due to the connector not being in securely.

Economy of the E-Tec is looking good as Wick to wreck to Happsburg, back to Dolphin Sands and back to Wick, I used 11 litres.

=================================

6th November. Another early start from Wick. Foggy morning and fun getting out the harbour and through the run ( see other post ).

Due to the fig we stopped on the ledge to let it clear before crossing over to the Needles. No sooner we stopped the fog lifted.

Quick steam over to the Needles ( get there so much quicker nowdays ) and we drop the pick down in the "car park" and join the other 35 boats.

Fishing very slow with Doggies and Pout. I had two small whiting which went back.

Then on the mackeral bait ( which was supposed to be for the dog ) I had bite after bite bite but couldnt connect. PJ then puts some mackeral bait on and second s later is into a good fish. We both think "big bass" and as the fish comes to the surface it looked like one at first. Not bass though but 10lb ( easily ) of Pollock.

( Weighed on the boat the fish went to 10lb 8oz but Paul then bled the fish and it lost almost a pound ).

( Whilst fighting the conger we realised that we were "on the move". The anchor was not holding and we were slowly drifting. This is the new "pollock drift anchoring" technique evidently smile.gif

Reset the anchor and fished on but nothing else of note caught.

Set off before dark to cross around the shingles at LW ( slack ) as I didnt fancy crossing in a strong tide in the dark. Stopped off on the ledge and pulled a number of doggies and pout up and then back to the run.

Get to the run. Where are the buoys ? - Whilst fishing they had been removed.

Fortunately I had the nice track I made on the way out.

Another great day out in good weather and good company.