Uptide Reel

Member Removed

never had a problem with fingers using a fixed spool to uptide Alun........

found it really usefull fishing of Deal and the Thames estuary but generally we were fishing 30ft of water and by getting the bait well uptide I didn't have too much pump and wind to get fish in. Also it was always whiting or cod (odd pout)

tend to be fishing much deeper water off Poole and whilst I still use 10oz grip leads in 70-80ft the multiplier comes into it's own when 'playing' some of the possible hook ups (rays and conger usually!)

I used a cheap reel at the time - ryobi I think - it did the job. Still have the rod, custom built on a new firms blank at the time 'Conoflex' - my how they have come on!

Edited by duncan

I use a Daiwa Emblem-S 5500T Fixed Spool for uptiding.

And for the "uptide" rod I use a Penn Giller Thriller. It's shorter than a true uptide rod, so is more managable in a small boat, and has a nice flexible tip to prevent the lead pulling out.

Typically only need 6oz but sometimes go to 8oz.

This outfit has brought a 40lb+ conger to the boat in the tidal waters of the Bristol Channel, so it's capable of bringing in most fish in Poole Bay.

BF

Fletch

My true belief, based on little experience, and a lot of theory, is that your chances of catching a COD in the bay or Needles, (yes I was shouting), will be at least 50:1 based on the number of times most members have gone out and recorded cod catches.

OK, controversial it may be, but what is your theory on uptiding for them, rather than just plonking a big bait down tide and getting the scent trail going ? I'm keen to understand?

Also, its nice to catch one, but you can also get 25lb of whiting with alot less effort, and it cooks and eats wonderfully.

I know this is wandering off the point a bit, and others will no doubt give much better advice about rigs and tactics and gear to fish 10oz of lead and up, but there's more chance of one turning up amongst the conger, whiting and dogfish that you will get, so you might as well tackle up for these and enjoy your sport.

I've seen a 24lb cod turn up in 12m of water, and the one I caught (12lb) not a monster, was caught on a single squid on a 3/0, 12lb class rod.

Best thing about this forum - plenty of things to think about !!

Regards

Paul