Volvo Diesel Opinoin Needed

Wedger

Had a curious oily belch from Otter's Volvo TD130 on Sunday dry.gif .

Our first run out and everything appear OK 25 miles or so covered.

Oil pressure started @ about 65 psi cold. and dropped to just over 30 psi when hot.

I thought that seemed OK.............any opinions so far?

All seemed OK too when we switched off and I didn't notice any oil leakage at this point (but I didn't look specifically).

We recovered her onto the trailer at Cobbs and left.

The following day I checked her over and found half her oil in the bilge, the breather can looking quite wet sad.gifmad.gifsad.gif .

unsure.gif

Is it a good assumption that whilst recovering we have inadvertently tilted her far enough down the slip such that the oil has covered the breather orifice at the rear of the engine. I am assuming then that with the engine still hot enough, pressure has built up to force the oil out of the breather sad.gif .

Any thoughts?

That seams a lot of oil to have come out of the breather! By the time you recover to the trailer, engine should be starting to cool, therefore even if the oil covered the breather there shouldn't be a positive pressure to push the oil out.

I think you need to have a close look around the engine.

A few obvious things to check:

1. Sump plug washer.

2. Sump bolts.

3. Oil filter.

4. Oil cooler.

Brian

Thanks.

I will do the inspections you suggest. Having mostly cleared the bilge I seem to have greatly over estimated the oil loss. I will know better when I refill.

Cheers

Wedger

Nothing found on inspection wink.gif

Refilled (1.2 litres was the loss)

Engine run up to temp smile.gif

No visible sign of oil leakage biggrin.gif

Will venture out for a full load test tomorrow.

cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Oil pressure - what does the manual say? My needle reads about 1 o'clock (can't remember the pressure). As far as temp goes - mine runs at ~83 degrees with a clean leg, 90 with a dirty one, and it soon drops to 80 once pootling along at 7 knots or less. Thermostat opens at ~85 degrees, quite noticable and worth pootling at 12 knots along until it does to make sure it hasn't stuck.

NB> I have the 150 turbo diesel. It burns a smidgeon of oil at high revs with weight in the boat. I never have to top it up.

What economy are you getting? I reckon on about 1 mile/litre at 23 knots.