Falmouth Area

Mike Y

Can anyone give me a few tips on the area first ????

I've got an invite to go out on a big new Merry Fisher with a novice fisherman who'd like to catch a bit more than mackeral.

Hints about going to the Manacles and / or sandbanks off Coverack........ could this be bass at the former and turbot at the latter ??

Lures / shads / mackeral ?? Drift or anchor ?? [ biggish tides this weekend , I expect]. Shambles techniques for the sandbanks ???

Any info. gratefully received [and could be rewarded with fresh asparagus !!]

Can I get excited by prospects from this invitation ? [ I usually do !].

Alun.

I certainly know the Helford River mouth is good for bass although you have to be careful to fish outside of the Nursery Zone. You can get thornbacks in the river mouth too and bream (giltheads later in the year) and mullet in the river itself.

Manacles has always looked a bit dangerous to me if you don't know what you are doing as the rocks come out of the water from nowhere.

Don't know yet Tom, ....... I'll report next week .... [ if I get to go !];

Mike,............ I think the skipper knows the area , and the dangers, it's just the fishing he's new to......... and called me in as 'The Expert' !......... I'm not confident in this role in an area new to me....... but hoping to transfer a few skills / methods that work up here...........

............and casting out for help into our wonderfully knowledgable membership...

PLEASE>>>>

Alun.

Hi Alun

I hope this helps. biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------

Hi Dave

I assume they've got charts or a plotter map of the area?

Depends an awful lot on the wind direction. East or SE builds up a big swell at the entrance to the Carrick Roads and makes it pretty much impossible to get out into the bay.

If this happens, then the Stanwood next to the North Bank buoy is always worth a go - pollack, mackerel, gars on the drift plus good sized wrasse and conger when anchored. Only anchor on the flood unless they enjoy buying new ones!!! ;-). Or go up river to Trellissick (Turnaware Bar)and anchor in the deep hole behind the bar for bull huss, wrasse, bass and rays.

If they can get out into the bay, there's a number of wrecks within 2 miles of Pendennis Point (Epsilon, NG Peterson, Caroni River) - all shown on the charts. Pollack, macks, gars, wrasse (ballan & cuckoo), conger - usual stuff really.

If it's blowing a westerly, then they can get shelter behind the Roseland Peninsular. Plenty of reef to drift, or a large patch of sand/gravel that we both found recently.

They could be very adventurous and head across the bay to the Manacles for big bass, but it's a pretty scary place and for neaps only I'd say

There's always the chance of bass, bream (black, gilthead, Couch, Pandora) and mullet in the many creeks around Falmouth and St Mawes. Very light tackle and rag on the float or light ledger.

They can launch from the Watersports centre in Falmouth (