Has Anyone Seen These Symptoms Before?

Pugwash

Hi everyone. After registering on this excellent site last week I have now decided to post my first item. In many ways it is a request for help. Many of you will have come across people in my situation before and may have been able to give advice.

Some few months ago I was provided with access to a mooring above Tuckton Bridge courtesy the in-laws. Why not get a boat they said. Good idea I thought. Being a careful type I considered my options as to type, size, use etc

A fishing boat was the fairly quick choice, involving the family etc. So more careful research, setting budgets, timescales etc and endless hours spent looking at Boats and Outboards. It became clear that I was probably going to be travelling a long way to eventually acquire my pride and joy with all the foregoing considerations in mind.

Imagine my delight then when I discovered a one owner Orkney Strikeliner with a Mariner 4 stroke engine for sale not 3 miles from where I live.

Having arrived at the first viewing appointment a strange phenomenon occured. On first setting eyes on the boat all previous considerations and careful thoughts were ignored and my eyes glazed over. She was indeed a very well looked after boat fully equipped and I sort of just bought her........is this common?

Happily the owner arranged a sea trial that went perfectly and over Easter I and the family carried out daily trips to build familiarisation and confidence in the boat. In fact on one journey down to the Run we met Neo and Marine Boy on their way back.

The main point of my posting really is how best do I start fishing? I have taken and passed my RYA Powerboat 2 course and I am confident withg my boat and happy to venture out to fish.

I really haven't done any fishing for years and years and know none of the spots or techniques that might help me get started. I am not looking for mighty specimens more some decent sport and maybe the occasional fish for the pot. I guess I may soon be looking for Bream and Mackeral.

I have aquired some tackle that will help me get started in the form of rods, reels etc. I realise that I have asked a question with endless answers and possibilities but any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. I fully intened to come to the next club meeting next week with my club subscription and look forward to meeting some of you there.

Regards

Steve

Congrats in joining, and you have chosen a decent boat aswel. Most of the lads are out in the comp 2day so u may not get an instant response to your posting, but over time you will get many offers to 'buddy' a boat where you can follow another member out and generally fish along side him. Give it another month or so, and the summer fish will be back in, and the fishing will become easier.

i lanch my boat ( a 15ft dory called Gnasher) from either muddiford or wick, as does loads of other members, so u will meet them on regular occasions.

Alot of the fishing is done fairly close in, within just a few miles, and there is great fishing on/off the ledge, southbourne, barton and even very close in to hengisbury head, and thats just the tip of the iceburg.

with regards to fish for the pot, there will be maccy everywhere when it warms up, bass should be under them, & the bream and smothhound should be around anytime.

The lads are very friendly, although i havnt met them all, of the ones i have fished with, they have all tought me loads.

U can even post for crew, have a member join you on you own boat, and then they can generally help either put u on the fish, aswel as showing u some decent rigs, presentation etc.

Good luck with your fishing.

Dan

(Gnasher)

Steve,

My advice would be to come along to the next club meeting and you will find there are many who will be happy to buddy up and "show you the ropes".

I was in exactly the same position 3 years ago, so I joined the club and have never looked back.

Welcome aboard Steve, I doubt that you could have stumbled across a better band of fellows than this lotm and indeed, post remark regarding speed of answers is spot on. You'll very soon be steaming out to your fave marks on fave tides, enjoying the banter on Channel six, when it appears that all others around you in the club are "Hauling them in!", whilst you are in fact, a complete blanker........I know that feeling well!!!!!!

Tight lines mate, look forward to meeting you.

Rich