Silver Eel Shortage

Afishionado

River patrol to halt eel poachers

Young eels are in decline across Europe

Rivers in Kent and Sussex are being given night-time patrols to prevent the illegal netting of young eels.

Each spring thousands of eels arrive in rivers in the region from the Sargasso Sea in South America but stocks are believed to be declining.

An Environment Agency spokesman Chris Conroy said: "Anyone found in contravention of the regulations could be prosecuted and fined up to

i dont understand this shortage of eels malarky. How come when i go fishing on the river stour and the avon, as soon as it gets to dusk the eels come out to play. You can catch over 20 eels an hour.

Maybe its just me cos i cant catch nothin' else.

i dont understand this shortage of eels malarky. How come when i go fishing on the river stour and the avon, as soon as it gets to dusk the eels come out to play. You can catch over 20 eels an hour.

Maybe its just me cos i cant catch nothin' else.

Yes I know those pesky little boot lace ones mad.gif

I was refering to the large silvers that we used to catch in the harbour.

By the way as I said before, sections of silver eels are suposed to be good Tope bait.

Mad Mike

Mikey....................silver eels are just slightly larger freshwater eels returning to sea to spawn, so it follows an abundance of freshwater eels in certain locations would lead to an abunance of returners in time.

Dommy, a good time for eels catching is a really heavy dewy night, when its not too cold. Try tying a bunch of brandlings onto wool, they cant get their teeth out of the fibres. I've also used a POLO mint tied to a short length of mono, attatched to the trip on a mousetrap, anchored on the river bed..........caught loads!!!! "Boys wil be boys!

Rich

Dommy, a good time for eels catching is a really heavy dewy night, when its not too cold. Try tying a bunch of brandlings onto wool, they cant get their teeth out of the fibres. I've also used a POLO mint tied to a short length of mono, attatched to the trip on a mousetrap, anchored on the river bed..........caught loads!!!! "Boys wil be boys!

Rich

Polo mints? This should be on the other thread re: Unusal bait. tongue.gif

Anyone tried using lamprey in the briney ? The amount of blood they're full of seems to work well in freshwater...would seem worth a try on the face of it ?

I had a go. Inconclusive, in that we caught no tope on lamprey OR on mackerel. The doggies were much less of a pest with lamprey though.

Steve