Portland Bash

crazy fred

Are you on your own boat or charter?

What do you want to go for?

Bass, Whiting, Cod, Pollock, Mixed?

Going to be big tides so anchoring for Conger and Huss etc in deeper water will be hard work, but:

The Bass fishing should still be in full swing drifting between Lights in One and the main Portland Race.

I think Rich is better placed to advise here as I give up through frustration over tackle losses, however if you get it right you will have a great day with small to medium sized fish.

The Whiting fishing should really be good anchored on the Adamant Bank with mackeral and baby squid being top baits to either baited feathers, paternoster, Portland rig or flowing trace. Don't forget to put a second rod over with a big multi squid bait for the chance of a Cod or big Undulate Ray.

The offshore wrecks will begin showing the big winter Pollock and you can have a bumper day with fairly light tackle and good sized fish well into double figures.

If you don't mind the journey then going well west towards the Abbotsbury Bouy will turn up some cracking Whiting with a really good chance of a Cod or a Bass.

Close in round to the west of the Bill will produce good mixed fishing over the M2 or any of the rough ground.

Tom

I've just got my head round this basss fishing malaky after losing most of my lead...... sad.gif and not to mention countless storm shads..... sad.gifweep.gif .

I fish using different tactics depending on the state of the tide. When it is slow, try using a set of hokki with a Shimano butterfly jig it really get the fish going, loses is low IF you keep the jig off the bottom. When thereis a bit of tide, use shads on a running ledger or portland rig with about 7' of trace or 2 sandeels paternoster style secured with dropper loops. The way to fish it with these is drop the rig to the bottom, wound it up a few turn and holds it there (plus lots of praying unsure.gif ), from time to time drop it back down just to keep in touch with the bottom. Sometime you will find the bottom and get stuck but then that's fishing as one skipper says. dry.gif . Sometimes when the tide is really racing, I found fishing slow as the drift is far too fast.

Fred, give Boybilly a personal message, he's far better placed than most here to offer top advice that's current, as he lives on a raft anchored off the Bill! No, he's a resident angler down there, and knows all!! He's very approachable and will answer yoyr questions, if his comp is up and running!!!

To reduce my tackle losses down there, and reduce tangles with other anglers on charter boats, I tend to drop my tackle quite early , as the skipper is easing off the power, use a very light lead and allow the gear to get well behind the boat, away from the knitting needles of other anglers on board. Try adding a bit of colour to your terminal tackle, especially if teh water is a bit coloured, it does work.

Rich