Need 2x6ft Zips Fitted To Cover

duncan

the recent winds, and other incidents, haev meant that I need to get 2 zips around 6ft each replaced in my cover. the cover is on the boat and I don't really want to remove it for a few weeks at this time of the year to get the job done.........

Any suggestions / contacts ?

Thanks Charlie, it can wait that long!

Basically a pair of parallel zips run up the back of the cover over the transom door (conger/tope hatch!) - one zip has self distructed the teeth and the other has spilt the actual cloth of the zip all the way along! Cover itself unharmed so it's remove old zips / bits and sew in new ones...........

The cover itself just comes off easily in one piece.

ps without a phone right now but should be sorted next week.............

You will have to remove the offending canvas from the boat (don't mind popping down to do it for you Duncan, just need permission given).

Under Cover Awnings in Shirley (don't have their number right now) are absolutely 1st class.

Give John Heinz a call their and they will sort you out quickly.

If you want, I can collect the awning tomorrow afternoon (call me on 07780687795 or email me at work) and drop it to them on Friday as I am in Sarisbury Green for a hand over. If they can do it I'll either pick it back up for you or get it delivered to me when someone is passing.

You must let me know though Duncan as I am only in the office until 10:30 tomorrow and then over in Weymouth looking for a sub dealer.

Tom

PS: Their are local Poole companies, but I don't know their work.

Duncan, a tip for the prevention of the cotton rotting alongside the zip, is to rub Neatsfoot oil, or similar, into the cloth. This prevents the salt water absorbtion, helping prevent rot. It does need to be done on a reasonably regular basis to act as a barrier for the dreaded sunlight too.

I used it on all my kit for hunting in the field with Hawks, Falcons and Eagles, used regularly, it keeps natuaral materials, like leather and cotton, in tip top condition. I also have some waxier stuff I make up myself with my beeswax, a little parrafin wax in liquid form, and some good old turps, (not turpentine substitute), all heated through in apan to mix well, then poured into a small conatiner and left to set, it knocks spots off the expensive tatt sold by barbour and the like!!!

Hope this proves usefull.

Rich

Fantastically usefull tip Rich - if only someone had given it to me 4 years ago........ sad.gif

Tom, thanks for the offer but I think I have missed your deadlines. As posted above I am without mobile (and currently in Edinburgh.....) but will try and give you a call on your mobile tonight when I get home (before 2100).

Appreciate it can't be done actually on the boat - had somewhere in the back of my mind it could be done by a 'mobile workshop' set up and thought I had seen one around over the last couple of years somewhere!