Chilly Start At Baiter

Wedger

Hi all

I am now fully recovered after a hard day organising and fishing yesterday. Up at 5am to finish the preparations for the day. Down at Baiter for about 6.20 to drop off gear and help set up. I then had to dash around towing the boat all over Poole looking for an open petrol station to refuel Maverick (note to myself refuel well in advance next year). Any way after seeing most competitors sign in Dean Tony D and myself left Baiter and went out on the slates.

Weather wise was as already stated a little sloppy, fishable but not pleasant. Our first choice of mark didn

Early start for me - got to Baiter from Christchurch around 7 AM and my fishing partner for the day travelling all the way from Portsmouth.

Uneventful launch and had a little bit of trouble starting the engine as the boat has not been out for what seems like an eternity.

Realised on way out that I had forgotten to get any useful marks and having fished out of Poole only once before, I decided on heading for the slates if it was not too rough ( decided it was ! ) or the East of the Spoil grounds if it was. ( Last year I got a sizeable whiting from this mark - this year we had quantity but not quality.

Started off fairly quickly with what turned out to be our biggest whiting within 15 minutes of setting up. Throughout the day we had "waves" of whiting but the fishing was sporadic to say the least. Steve had a dogfish and Bass on each hook of his pennel rig - bass was only around 1 1/2 lb so returned.

We had around 8 whiting each by the end. so decided to have a go in the Swash channel ( never know might catch a 22lb turbot ! ) as was getting fed up being tossed around in the lumpy sea ( although I have fished in worst - last year or example ! ).

On the way back in tried having a go at the herring in the channel and caught 4 of them in 15 mins but cut this short as my engine was failing to idle and was then running really lumpy - I think one of the carbs is flooding - engine service needed ASAP.

We were going to have a go for flounder in the harbour having followed Splash Out in but stopped for the Herring instead. Having read Rich's report I wish we had smile.gif

Nice picture of Neo struggling back in with a rough running engine - thanks Trevor.

Sorry not to have gone to the presentation, but unfortunately I really had to get back home after the comp.

Many thanks to Paul J and the rest of the organising committee for an excellent comp and next year I will have learnt how to catch some Flounder

Many thanks to all committee members and helpers for making yesterday successful and enjoyable........... despite the chilly weather.

Organisation, atmosphere and company was brilliant.......... well done!

Being fairly new to competitive angling, I learnt a lot......despite not being on form with my fish - finding calls for the day.

I'll definitely be giving it another go next year.

Thanks again,

Alun.

competitive angling

sad.gif

personally I am out to have fun - the only real competition is on the boat (and this time I have to admit I lost mad.gif )

I thought the club the real winner (again!)

Now the Poole Cod comp in late Dec is a different matter................