Reading Bass Scales

Wedger

Rich,

Further to our interest on the other thread...............

I'm waiting for a response from my expert buddy about this whole issue of bass scale collecting, reading and records. Our greatest task will be learning the finer points of interpretation, but comprehensive recording at sea will be the key to project success. Suggested bedtime reading perhaps the work of B.A.S.S. who are still requesting scale samples from a particular size class of fish I believe. Also CEFAS Technical Report 103 which can be found on the net. Report 103 offers some interest from the scale collecting and viewing aspect, and suggests a slightly different site of scale sample.

My suggested kit. (this may have additions subject to Prof. advice).

Field kit

tweezers

self/reseal poly bags

permanent marker

measure

scales

digital camera

Study kit

Scope

I have a 7-45 diameter binocular bench type ( mineralogists set I think) great lighting setup. (DOH! sad.gif Needs fixing) Has camera slot also but needs looking at to see if I can fix a digital camera to it. You can, of course, use a very simple microscope but low mag is essential.

Small file system

PC

Regards

Trev

Trev, have DEFRA published any papers on this?? I know from my work as a WLO in the old bill, thats some studies are available to purchase prnted by HMSO. I may start trolling around car boots for a half decent microscope, I genuinely would like to get into this. Maybe scan ebay?? Speak soon.

Rich

Rich,

My scope will need to go off to the menders sad.gif It's go a nasty that I'm unable to fix (jammed on high power blink.gif ). I've made enquiries today with the manufacturer re digital photo's etc. but from what I can gather we just need the correct adaptor ring and a compatible 'snapper'. I'll have a chat with my no. 2 son who is doing photography at B'mouth Institute. I'll let you know when we're fixed up. I'll do the DEFRA thing tomorrow.

Wedg.

Thanks Trev.....I had a quick glegg at the site, and read a couple of teh studies, quite interesting.

Oh, on a sadder note, I have to report the death of Alex Behrehndt, he died last week after a stroke, at the ripe old age of 93 (Ithink). despite being instrumental into the nasty importation of the Opaline Minnow, and Signals to Test tributaries here in Romesy, he did do a lot for still water trout angling in Britain, after settling here post release from the P.O.W. camp at Ganger Farm. His aged pennings wil be missed by many I'm sure.

Rich

All,

Just sent my 'Bino Scope' off to Meiji for repair. Has anyone got a Nikon Coolpix 4500 digital camera? this is the one - I'm told by Meiji - that will adapt easily to the scope for recording scale images. We will either need a loan unit or I will purchase one. What do you have?

Wedger.

Trev...sorry, my digital is a Ricoh. Ive sourced small self seal bags, the type used by tackle firms for small bits n bobs, also Ive stressed an interest in the computer Gordon has up for grabs...it will be perfect to keep my nippers off my lappy, but akso be large enough to hold data from a srvey such as this.

Rich

I got my daughter a Coolpix last time I was in the States, worked out about 10% cheaper than UK mail order. If you are quick, might be able to get Coddy to get you a quote or if not, I'm over there early December. First one I got from the shop didn't work, was lucky I checked it before I came home!

If you don't already have an adaptor tube for the mike, be careful to price them up first. We were looking at a Leica system a while back and the adaptor tubes were 700 quid!!!!

What mountant are you intending to use?? Sellotape is a quick fix working at that scale (sorry) but it does yellow and go brittlewith age, so your library will fall apart eventually. I was thinking you might settle the scales onto a blob of canada balsam?

Steve

Steve....when trev and I discussed this, the thought was to photograph the scale, and store the image on a computer. Scales can be placed in a bag, and whacked onto a data sheet for storage in a filing cabinet, but most of the data can easily be stored on computer. Still open to discussion on this though.

Rich

Rich,

We need a few prayers now.

Just had a word with my mike man. Apparently I have a dogs chance, only, that the scope can be fixed. It's been sent to Cornwall for assessment by a micro fanatic. The chances are, it will be

Rich,

Nope.........................

certainly not as we stand.

I need to get this repaired for work here as well, and for the sake of the chap who let me have it on permanent loan. He said he will never use it again, but that's not the point!

(If it works praps I'll speak nicely to the board and see if they will let me have an advert or two for a loan of kit whenever needed).

I just need to wait and see what chappy in Cornwall says unsure.gif .

Hope we have

post-13-1131564675.gif

Rich,

Great news biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif .

Had a visit from my Bass buddy. He has left a heap of official scale sample envelopes, literature and advice leaflets. In fact all we need to start. Also identified the right scope. This one is used by 'The Ministry' for similar work and was noted as 'ideal for our purpose.'

• 2 weeks later...