Flattie Comp........

Swainiac

Martin, I know its a little early, maybe not. How do you get the hamper together for the xmas comp?? If you take donations, Im about to harvest my honey from the hives, so can donate some New Forest Honey, if youre taking them, also, if you wish, while I'm not working too much with this bloody wrist, did you want me to get a Hamper, and begin to fill it for the club, with non-perrishables? I'm more than happy, I dont feel Ive put much into the club of late.......even dropped my gold star for meeting attendance!!! sad.gif

Rich

Im about to harvest my honey from the hives, so can donate some New Forest Honey

Wow, another beekeeping fisherman biggrin.gif

Do you folks always harvest this late down there? We've had the varroa treatment on for three weeks now and were about the last in the club to do it. Paid the penalty too, there was a big ivy crop this year and its not done wonders for the flavour.

(back to the fishing cool.gif )

Steve

Martin, I can get a hamper from a local supplier down at the flower market in southampton, and blagg a few bits from reatailers around here, farm shops and the like. I'm more than happy to arrange it if you wish.

Steve, Ive 14 hives, well, 14 between Dad and I. He kept me interested since i was about six, but now im fairly knowlegeable on the subject. This years crop has been a little lower than usual, we generally take about 60 - 80lb of honey per hive, twice a season, but its been V poor this year. Ive tried homeopathic remedies for varroa treatment, and yes, the ivy crop is in full swing here. Homeopathic treatments dont leave the honey tainted, but this eason, Ive left a lot on the frames, for stocks to overwinter, and save on fondant. Silly hobby really......when ure allergic to beestings!!!!

Rich

Martin, I can get a hamper from a local supplier down at the flower market in southampton, and blagg a few bits from reatailers around here, farm shops and the like. I'm more than happy to arrange it if you wish.

Yes please Rich, it would be most helpful if you could take on this task. Please confirm and I will tell Veronica to stand down, will have to think of other things for her to do now tongue.gif

Cheers

Martin

Steve, Ive 14 hives, well, 14 between Dad and I. He kept me interested since i was about six, but now im fairly knowlegeable on the subject. This years crop has been a little lower than usual, we generally take about 60 - 80lb of honey per hive, twice a season, but its been V poor this year. Ive tried homeopathic remedies for varroa treatment, and yes, the ivy crop is in full swing here. Homeopathic treatments dont leave the honey tainted, but this eason, Ive left a lot on the frames, for stocks to overwinter, and save on fondant. Silly hobby really......when ure allergic to beestings!!!!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Three hives is enough for us, 14 would be hard work and selling the honey a nightmare! We don't get quite the same yields here, maybe 50lb per hive overall and that's mainly clover. Interesting how areas vary - we've had a good year after a late flow from (I think) the blackberry. Too late harvesting though, so half the crop was tainted by Ivy. A shame to get a sharp background to clover honey as its normally so nicely flavoured.

I'm allergic to stings too, so we have a "No stings" policy in force. For some reason, the bees don't always toe the line sad.gif

If we cross paths, I'd be keen to swap a few jars.

Steve

Kam, each specific pollen collected, has different flavours, from delicate...clover to more harsher....Ivy.

As the season progreses, colours of pollen change, too, and you can judge which flower is in bloom, due to colour of legs sacs of the bees as they come home. Rogwort, for instance, is a vivid and bright yellow, where as Ivy tends to be a dull browny colour.

Also, the honey has different textures, clover honey needs to be pressed from the frame, where as early rapeseed can be spun out in a centrifuge.......leave the rape to set farther, its a nightmare to harvest!! Setting solid in the frame. I'll drop you some of mine off, I use it in my cooking a fair bit, you wont buy nicer honey, as most of the honey marketed in shops, is now a blend of different hives, where as mine gets taken out of the hive, frame by frame, and stored as each frame is filled to capacity.........naughty on the bees I know, but it gives them space.....and they keep working hard for you.

My personal favorite smell, is the aroma of the Blackthorn, buckthorn, Hawthorn etc. They are a very early flower, marking the onset of the spring honey flow, and by lifting the hive lid, you get the waft of honey smell, and you know the girls are working hard for their queen.

Rich