Main Power Line

Gnasher

i have an electrical problem with the main power line that runs from the key ignition to the outboard. The key end of the cable has a break in it somewhere and to start the outboard i have to wiggle the wire as i turn the key. Any ideas how i can find out where the break might be without cutting the wire? Is an electrical tester kit expensive?

Electrical tester kit is cheap - I bought a circuit tester in BandQ - ( If I can remember where I put it, you are welcome to borrow it ).

However, all it will tell you is what you already know - ie. The cable has a bad connection/break in it.

Are you sure the bad connection is not where the cable connects onto the key ?

( It is more likely to be a bad connection than a break in the cable ).

If I were a gambling man, I would place a bet on the problem being a bad connection on the joint between the wire and the switch

I would suggest that it is where the crimp is on the terminal.

If the terminal end has a cover on it you can peel it back, if covered in corrosion, cut off and solder on a new terminal.

You can get crimp versions but will quickly corrode with the salty air it is exposed to.

Coddy

cool.gif