Diawa Sl20sh

Speciman

I'm thinking about buying a pair of SL20SH to go with my 10-20lb Fladen solid C rods. Given that when I rig up a finder a lot of my fishing will be over the Purbecks (with occassional trips to Lulworth banks) would the SL20SH be too small? Planning on using 18lb -20lb line.

For those who have had multipliers with and without level wind do you miss not having one?

generally the issues for a boat reel are -

drag drag and drag nowadays with a bit of corrosion resistance on top

braid has made spool capacity pretty irrelevant

with the possible exception of congers on wrecks the rod does the work not the reel so winch grade gears are less relevant but it's important that they aren't crap either! however gear ratio's need to be appropriate and this Diawa's, being a beach reel at heart, are a bit highly geared I think.

if you are looking to aquire reels (as oposed to haveing a couple of these already and wonder if they will do) then I would look at 7000 size reels that have proved themselves as good boat reels such as -

Shimano - TLD10/15 or Charter Special 1000s, Calcutta 700

Penn - 310/320 gtis, 25gls or 225, Int 975s

Abu 7000

Okuma Titus Gold 3/0

there will be others of course but I bet most here have examples of these reels in their box.

re level wind - some of my reels have them others don't - for small boat fishing (where you tend to put rods in rests more than on charter boats) I find a LD more useful but lever drag level winds are king! You quickly get used to spreading the line.

Your 10 -20 Solid C rods are dainty wands, that bend through to the handle. Most reels seem too heavy; I team mine up with 5000 or 6000 size Abu s.

Rather than writing loads......... you are welcome to come and try a few and talk through pros / cons. ........... if you are in the Christchurch area.

Alun.

Going light does make sense especially if I'm fishing from a kayak and with a 'dainty rod'. I'll pop back to Lymington market on Saturday and check out the Fladen Maxximus reels - which according to seller both the rods and reels have recently been used by the England team and the reels components are ABU. I would have thought the rods and reels were made for each other. Thanks for the offer Alun.