Ballard Point Or Durlston Head?

Zzippy

Hiya all.

On Monday Specimen and I want to have a go at Tope fishing close inshore,the weather is looking good to get out on the Kayaks.

Could anyone please give us some advice of where to go.

We were thinking about Ballard Point or Durlston Head,we dont want to go too far out as we will be on spring tides.

We will be launching from Swanage Bay as its too far a paddle from Poole harbour.

Any advice would be greatfully recieved and as to what else we could expect to catch around that area

Many thanks

Zzippy

Hi

Durlestone Head and west around the corner give you more chance of a tope. and calm water under the cliffs.

Drifting close in there are plenty of large wrasse and small pollack plus bass

if the tides are against you use the back eddy in close to the shore to work them into your favour

Ie on the Ebb a houndred yards out you will be moving west south west but 40 to 50 yards out and you will be heading in the opposite direction.

I use this to ease the motoring against a big tide so it should help you with your paddling.

Please be very aware how strong the tides are, how rough the tides can make peveril ledge and durlestone head area and stay safe.

try and avoid these areas in the middle of the tide.

Tight lines

I may be out on sunday so if you see great white say hello.

call me if you are in problems VHF channel 6 or my mobile 07887 794716

Charlie biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice Charlie

Its Monday we are going out,just so the boat traffic shouldnt be so busy biggrin.gif

If the tide looks too strong for us to handel we will fish in the bay.Paddling in a strong tide soon wears you out and we dont like taking risks.

We have a VHF radio wich is Scanning on channel 6 when we are out,we also have our mobiles with us,and also flares and a whistle,We might even leave that venue till we are back on realy low neaps again.

If it is unfishable to us we might try the front at Southbourne for the Plaice wink.gif

Really we just want to get out as the weather hasnt permitted us to in the last 2 weeks.

Hope you get loads on Sunday biggrin.gif

All the best

Zzippy

Ie on the Ebb a houndred yards out you will be moving west south west but 40 to 50 yards out and you will be heading in the opposite direction.

Thanks Charlie thats just the kind of info we're looking for. Its a bit of paddle round from Swanage and its really no fun paddling against a strong wind, current or both!