Swivels-crane, Barrel And Rolling

Newboy

tongue.gif Hi Kam, The Mustad rolling swivel is the best all-round. Barrel swivels break for a pastime so I tend tend to use those for weak links to the lead. Ball bearing are the ultimate but very expensive, however these are the only swivel guaranteed to work under load. I use these for gilling and bassing. Regards, BB

Thanks Billy, I just got a reply from someone seller on Ebay, he's been very helpful regarding tackles. Here's what he says about swivels.

Crane Swivel Is the smallest per size, but is also the strongest. And most expensive.

Rolling Swivel Not as expensive as a crane swivel, but not as strong (per size), as a crane swivel. Bigger per size than a crane swivel, but has a more compact neater shape

Barrel Swivel Cheap, but not as strong as a crane/rolling swivel, (per size). Big in size.

I tend to use rolling swivels, because I think that they look neater on a trace. And because of the compact shape tend to get line tangled less often.

I agree with Adam......... never had a swivel break ........ nor had one that swivelled properly either!!........ Good for joining bits of end tackle but only 'spin' those twists out when you take the tension off the line.

If you lose tackle, fishing rough ground, go for the 'cheap and cheerful'. buy in bulk on ebay and keep your tackle box topped up!

The big chrome ones can be useful when lure fishing........ adding extra weight and flash in the water.

Alun.

Kam, I have found that Gerrys of Morecombe ' s swivels take some beating pricewise V quality. He floggs loads of sizes, and types, the only time I use the Crane swivel is on the tube type booms, I prefer the tiny rolling swivels for mini rigs, and additional anti twist in lure rigs.

Rich

As I only have 1 reel with mainline exceeding 30lb, most are loaded with 20lb, and my snoods always seem to be stronger than the mainline I'm fishing nowadays ( sad.gif ) I find I am selecting swivels to match my gear pretty much on a size basis alone and this is as much to ensure I am not trying to tie 60lb mono around a tiny wire loop on a tiny swivel with the resulting weakness!

Even on the 1 heavy mainline reel I am only using 50lb line and the above principle wold seem to work for that too - although I tend to be a bit more carefull on selecting a really 'nice' swivel ........just in case!