Boat Trailers

Nipper

wright, i have had my boat and trailer for one year now, its a backed brake trailer, how do i know if the brakes are still working?? as you all know i pull it with a two ton truck so that will stop it if i wont to stop, but how do i know if its still working, and how often should the trailer be serviced? once a year or once every two years.

mark b

Depending what trailer and braking system your trailer has, wheel hubs might not get hot.

On my trailer, I don't have an independent or electric brake like some large caravans/trailers do. The only brake on it is the hand brake which doubles up as an emergency brake shall the trailer be detached from the car while towing, the hitch wire pull/engage the handbrake before snapping, slowing and (hopefully) stopping the trailer before it crosses the dual carriageway or overtakes you blink.gif .

If your trailer hasn't got a seperate braking system, and the hubs get very hot, you have bearing problem.

To cheak if your brake work, park on level ground and with a couple of blokes, try pushing it while the handbrake is on, if it moves, your brake needs adjusting.

Be aware that if your brakes are over adjusted your hubs may get hot due to the shoes rubbing. I followed someone years ago on a trail away to Weymouth, he had a brand new trailer with brakes over adjusted. By the time he got to Wool smoke was billowing out of his drums, they were glowing red with the grease from his bearings oozing out.

Not a pretty sight

Martin