Chipped Prop

Gnasher

My boat is nearly ready bar the prop. It has a few chips but what i want to know is how it will affect the boat when driving it. Also how much is a replacment roughly and where do i go for a cheap deal? Its from a Penta 270 leg. (i would look for a 2nd hand one)

Dan, on the side of the boss of you prop you should find the size stamped sort of like.... 17 X 9 Volvo.

This will give you the information to look for when looking for a second hand one.

Check e-bay daily

Check Boats and Outboards web site

Also look at the search engine 'Ask Jeeves' ( http://web.ask.co.uk/ )

and type propeller repairs in the search box then click UK ONLY and off you go. There are loads of companies so shop for the best deal.

Mad Mike

Dan,

A damaged prop may not make too much differance to the ride / performace (unless it is really deformed) but it will cause stress on the leg as it will not balance properly.

A new one for a Penta, I guess will cost the earth - best bet is to take it off and drop it into Propellor Revolutions in Cobbs Quay. If it is just knicked and burred it wont cost too much - but they are wizards! Even a severly bent prop will come back like new and re-power coated. For a smallish prop 15"-17" with moderate damage it will be 30 quid ish...

• 3 weeks later...