Summer Holiday.......

alun j.

I'm visiting family and friends on Vancouver Island at the end of July and plan to get a few days fishing.

Problem is that no one is a fisherman ........ and my little bit of research points to the areas around Victoria having some excellent sport , esp. halibut and several sorts of salmon.

Should I take some of my tackle or hire / buy there?? Are those multi- section travel rods any good ??

Are the charter trips there worthwhile [do I need to book in advance] ; I see many provide bait and tackle [ and protective / floatation clothing].??

At best I might get 3 or 4 days in Victoria ......... and a couple at Comox or Campbell Valley. Is the river fishing for salmon .... fly, bait or spinners ??

Any information or useful advice much appreciated ....... even if it only allows me to ask sensible / detailed questions for my contacts over there to ask for me.

Cheers,

Alun.

Alun, I was there for 3 weeks last year and enjoyed some fabulous salmon fishing on the Fraser River. When is it you're going? If August, the king salmon will be running and they are awesome, 1st one I caught was 27lb! Biggest I saw, 56lb. Also sturgeon fishing on the fraser, they go up to about 700lbs fairly regularly and a max of about 1300lb. Never quantity but when you get stuck into one, the power is incredible. Let me have details.

Hi Terry,

I'm going end July to mid - Aug. I know these fish are there but what sort of tackle / tactics ??

I 'm also keen to try the halibut fishing........ as another new species [and fine eating!].

Did you take tackle or hire / buy there ??

Alun.

I'm visiting family and friends on Vancouver Island at the end of July and plan to get a few days fishing.

Problem is that no one is a fisherman ........ and my little bit of research points to the areas around Victoria having some excellent sport , esp. halibut and several sorts of salmon.

Should I take some of my tackle or hire / buy there?? Are those multi- section travel rods any good ??

Are the charter trips there worthwhile [do I need to book in advance] ; I see many provide bait and tackle [ and protective / floatation clothing].??

At best I might get 3 or 4 days in Victoria ......... and a couple at Comox or Campbell Valley. Is the river fishing for salmon .... fly, bait or spinners ??

Any information or useful advice much appreciated ....... even if it only allows me to ask sensible / detailed questions for my contacts over there to ask for me.

Cheers,

Alun.

A bit of a convoluted reply but I may be able to help.

I regularly (daily) talk with a bunch of Canucks from all parts of Canada.

There is a web meeting place for Cuba tourists and Cuba is one of Canadians favourit hot spots.

I have been offered 24/7 fishing any time I go to Canada.

Would you like me to sound them out about where and when, and maybe, knowing how generous these guys are an offer of a trip?

Let me know by PM if you do.

Mad Mike

This site is quite interesting

http://www.guidebc.com

As far as gear is concerned, I took fly gear with me as I like my own stuff. For sea fishing, all gear is supplied. For river fishing, it is best to use a guide (very reasonable) as a boat is almost essential. They will normally supply all the gear you need. However, if you're feeling flush, fishing gear is very good value in Canada. When I was there, the conversion rate was $2.47 to the