Spinning Rod suggestions

Barry

I'm after a spinning rod to use from the boat and beach/rocks. Spinning rods always seem to be of the lesser quality type of rod. I've looked a few sites with very poor results. Basically I'm after something with a bit of quality rather than the 6/7 foot cheap rods advertised.

It should be around the 9 feet mark to allow decent casting with enough backbone to handle half decent fish.

What do people use/suggest?

Guest fish finger

The Harris lure pro range are good quality rods. I have had one for a couple of years and have used it for loads of things including spinning for pike and perch on the stour, bass spinning from the shore, and general light fishing from the boat. My dad had a pollock of around 6 lbs on it and I have had pike to about 10 on it and in both cases it handled the fish perfectly.

Here is a link to the Harris Website.

From what you have said I think the Harris Lure Pro 9ft Spinner fits the bill, and it has a good backbone too, so I would be confident landing most fish with it.

It all really depends on your budget, you can buy spinning rods from

You are far better off with a 12ft rod because it will give you much better distance than a 9ft model. For my spinning i use one of my Harrison Carp rods, but there are some cheaper alternatives such as the new Wychwood range, Fox Rangemaster etc. Nash even do some top quality carp rods for just under 50quid. They have enough backbone for bass and pollock and a 2.5lb Test Curve can still pump a 3oz lead 100 yards. I use a Harrison Ballister 2lb TC for my plug fishing. A longer Rod is a bit more difficult for boat fishing, but i wouldnt use a shorter rod for rock/beach fishing.

Dan

Guest fish finger

Barry,

With regards to length you need to decide how much of your fishing is to be done from the shore and how much from the boat. It also depends on the size of the boat you are planning to fish from.

I fish with a 11" 2 1/4 tc carp rod spinning from the shore and it is useful to have the extra length for extra distance and controlling the lure in and out of obstacles.

However if fishing from a boat a carp rod is difficult to handle due to its length.

If mainly shore fishing I would go with Dan's advice and buy yourself a 11" or 12" 2-2.5 test curve carp rod. Another shore-based rod to look at is the Mike Ladle Surespin that is supposed to be a very good rod and can be found here. However if boat fishing is going to take a large part in your fishing I would reccomend something shorter.

Alex

I currently use an 11ft Normark Ed Schiffe Plugger rod which i love dearly

Also a 9ft Daiwa Whisker w98 game spinning rod which i use for bass and bream & Mullet when the tide allows.

The 4 piece is very handy ( can hide in down your trouser leg and sneak it on the plane) and versatile.

The 11ft is good for distance with light lures and copes with casting into the wind much better.

I agree with going for quality especially when your holding the rod all day, you just enjoy it more when you got good kit.

Paul J

Having done mainly course fishing most of my fishing life use 12 and 13 foot match rods and even when I got the boat at the back end of the summer I have to say that I don't see the problem with a long rod on a boat. I even feel that with a lively fish it helps to keep it clear of the hull and prop etc.

In your shoes I would go for the 11 to 12 foot with gives you the shore and boat option.

Good luck

Gordon the conger catcher

I recently purchased a Grauvell Radial Carbon spin 300M 11

The rod is as you might of guessed 3 metre or in old money 10' long. Made of carbon fibre it is very light. The blank is thin and tippy, should you manage to catch anything it has plenty of backbone locking up nicely. It is rated for casting 15 - 75 grammes and in my opinion is about right.

I have only used it twice when chasing flounders in the harbour but found it to be a light rod with plenty of backbone. I am really looking forward to using it for bream in the coming months. Cost is around

All good suggestions and I must be a mind reader! Had a stroke of luck today, It was one of those days that you stumble across a place you never knew was there. Working up in the smoke in Battersea and came across a tackle shop. Wandered in for a mooch around as you do. Got talking to the chap in there, as you do, about this that the other and fishing.

Anyway got round to boat fishing and what I want to add to the armoury. He came out with a nicely finished full carbon 11ft spinning rod suitable for shore/rock and a 9ft version which would be great off the boat.

Now this is where the luck comes in, he let me have both for 60 quid! Don't know what they're called as there's no names on them. Though the fit and finish is rather nice and of good quality. Can't really go wrong for that money.

On the subject of small rods, I have a one piece 6ft Berkley bait casting rod that goes with my baby bait casting multiplyer. I havnt used it much but I had a 6lb2oz Brown Trout and an 8lb 8oz Salmon last boxing day when plug fishing for pike(both went back). Great fun although there wasn't much control when they powered down stream in the flow. Im out pikeing tommorrow at Throop so may give the baitcasting rod another go just for a laugh.