Slipper limpets not permitted to be used as bait.

Brian

Slipper limpets not permitted to be used as bait or disposed at sea

Mar 30, 2015

This article was last updated on March 30th, 2015

Advice on the release of live or fresh slipper limpets (Crepidula fornicata)

The MMO is advising all marine users that the release of live or fresh slipper limpets (Crepidula fornicata) into the wild is an offence.

The slipper limpet is a marine mollusc and is a non-native species in the UK. They can starve and smother native shellfish and compete for food and space with oysters. Damage to shellfish by slipper limpets can affect the ability of fishermen to sell their catch, particularly oysters mussels and scallops. See information on the slipper limpet on the GB Non-native Species Information Portal (GBNNSIP)

The molluscs are already established in South England and South Wales although they are not currently prevalent in the North of England.

The release of slipper limpets to the sea is an offence and must be avoided in order to protect shellfish beds that are currently free of this species. This includes the use of live or fresh slipper limpets as an angling bait, or disposal at sea, which may allow the escape of eggs and larvae into the marine environment.

Sea users who find slipper limpets should report to the Marine Biological Association. Marine users who are aware of any use or disposal of slipper limpets should report the information to the MMO.

The slipper limpet has been in poole since i was a lad (yes Jim that was ages ago) Go along sandbanks through to Hengistbury head after a good blow and you will see loads of them washed up on the beach.  if they are a pest then probably a little late to do much about them down our way

They've been here in the UK since 1888....accidently brought in with a consignment of oysters from the US [probably into Southampton].....and now smother much of the South and SE coast.

I don't know when they moved around Landsend....they weren't in South Wales when I was there in the 60's....and I first came across them in the early 70's when I was a student and used to fish beaches in Sussex.  They were a good bait [or bait addition] then, and still are....esp after a blow.

The points above, are all an attempt to slow their progress into new habitats......whatever we do here will have no consequence....just don't take them on a trip !!

Bit late to shut the gate now I think !!

In the 50's my Father I use to pick up buckets of them after a blow and we would salt them down into jars and keep them for when bait was

in short supply or short of money !!    Great bait for Bass fishing from the shore when the surf is running !