Cooking / eating. Help.

jack

Can anyone tell me how to remove or prevent,the Amonia taste which is sometimes present in Skate wings and some other dogfish family fish,after cooking ?.I have tried both eating the fish as soon as possible and also.as told once keeping it chilled for two or three days.Its not always present but when it is,my family and I find it inedable :Jack

First a bit of Biology...............

Cartilaginous fish, like rays and doggies metabolise protein in a different chemical route; instead of forming urea, their livers produce a waste substance called trimethyl amine , which is then excreted through the kidneys. When killed, this compound in their tissues breaks down slowly to form ammonia ........ hence the increasing pong of nappies as fish loses freshness.

With big rays, really fresh fish can be a bit tough......... so there's a balancing act. Two or three days on ice is about the best before ammonia is noticeable.

My advice is

* get your fish into the fridge asap [ whole ]

* cut the wings off when you want them [ within three days]

OR

* cut wings off fresh fish and freeze.[ it does freeze and keep well].

Skinning is a painful waste of time / effort .........

* poach your wings in a court boullion [herby water with lemon] 5 - 10 mins. and the skin just slides off

* keep warm while you cook up a browned butter sauce [ even better with some capers in it ] and parsley.

One of my favourites!!

Alun.

PS. vinegar / lemon can neutralise a little bit of ammonia , but ,if it's reached this stage, the fish has lost it's fresh sweetness and will be wooly and dull !

Alun, being a great lover of skate/ray, I'm not squeemish re the stories of odour. I usually take the frame off, remove the "Knob", the large muscle under/behind the jaws.......(is this larger in females????!!!!!!! wink.gif ), the remove the skin in Duncans method, 2" strips, pullung down towards the wing tips. Then this always goes into the feezer for a few weeks. This usually does it for me, BUT, I've never tried it poached gently.........I will have a crack at this recipe, it sounds georgeous!!!

Rich