Saturday ...........

alun j.

The tides made me call a day in the harbour , rather than X-ray.

Morning flood seemed to say flatties............. with the cold weather slowing the crabs ......... so it proved................... though never as you would expect.

The harbour water was really cold............. less than 5 C.......... but there were still loads of crabs.

Up on the Wareham channel , I went back to my experiment comparing float fished ragworm against those on ledger. Three weeks ago , floats won hands down. Today, complete reverse.......... 9 on the bottom, 4 on float.

Most categoric feature.......... no bites on ebb....... 5 on the first flood, 8 on second; though more smaller fish later.

Best fish.... fat flounder 2 lbs, 14 oz. ...... nothing under 1 lb.

Excellent day, great visibility over the harbour, shared only with a few nutty kids on a powerboat course from Rockley..........they looked cold!!

All flounders stuffed with food............ bulging, not just their roe......... they are full of worms, small crabs and little fish. Us 'top carnivores' depend on a healthy food chain supporting the lower links !!

Hope everyone else had as god a day,

Alun.

Hi Alun

Pity you didnt go for the Cod - there didnt seem to be much swell out - as viewed enviously from Friars Cliff. Shortly after that I was deep into DIY jobs, so forgot all about fishing.

Thanks for the invite anyway. I shall be gagging to get the boat in the water next weekend - one last chance at the needles perhaps?. Ebb + northerly sick.gif or could fish the favourite mark then steam over at LW.

Whats my chances do you think of using the 'birthday - I'm not getting any younger blackmail' ?

Well done for a very productive flattie session - did you use any rig foam on the ledgers to beat the crabs ?

Paul