Wiring Looms

Adam F

After chatting to Martin last week I am considering giving Stuart Webb the marine electrician who sponsors our site a call...

The standard wiring that Warrior supply is messy to say the least and while I have tidyed it up outside the console inside it looks like a ball of spagetti!! I view this as a possible safety issue as electrical problems can be easily fixed when you can trace the cause....I have no chance at the moment.

So, I'd like to have a nice neat loom with all proper connections and maybe a trip switch bar like Maverick now has. I will call Stuart for a quote - but it got me thinking how hard it would be to do DIY??

With the time over the next few months due to the poor fishing I could give it a go. Is it a tricky job? Are there any tips to wiring a loom and switchboard, or am I best leaving it to the pros?

Adam

Like most things, it's easy when you know how. But not easy to do properly.

It's a time consuming job to do neatly, but there are ways to make it easier.

If I was doing it, I'd start by drawing out a full wiring diagram, showing the locations of all your pieces of equipment, and the cable sizes needed for each piece.

Once you have this, you can combine certain pieces of equipment in the same cable by purchasing multi-wire cables. The cables go to a break-out box where the wires are split out into their individual instruments or equipment. This will simplify the cable runs and make it much neater.

You need to be careful about interference on data and power cables from the GPS FF and Radio, so keep them separate or use shielded cable for the data signals, and ferrites on the power cables.

Tip - leave a small droop in the wire just before a vertical connection. If there is any moisture on the wire it will then collect on the bottom of the droop and drip off, rather then running into the connection.

...on second thoughts, perhaps it's best to get a quote... blink.gif

BF

I've done most of the wiring on Sweet Honey. The task, as Bob said isn't that difficult, more time comsuming.

Most of the extra wires can be eliminated with a junction box/trunking. Once you have the network in place, each piece of wire can then be measured accrutely, thus no extra length overhanging here and there.