Been on a spending spree ...... :0)

Retrowagon

Well bit the bullet and bought myself a new fish finder ( be it secondhand is never been fitted)

And a new gps for the boat. So nearly ready to put it in the water for the first time with all the gadgets :)

Also as I've had no luck with the little yammy 2hp I've gone and bought a seagul 40 I believe it's called 2-3hp built in July 1968 that hasn't been run for 10 yrs....... But wait for it ....clean out the fuel tank........flush the carb... Some fresh fuel...... Clean the spark plug....... Wind the starting rope...... Fingers crossed pull rope...... Realise you haven't turned on fuel or primed the carb.... Wind rope again and pull....... And the 46 yr old outboard jumps into life..... Well chuffed.

Don't get the oil/petrol mix wrong as they don't like it (up em Cpt Mannering)

Unless the carb jets have been altered it is normally 10:1 with altered jets you can go to 20:1 or 25:1

If you know the model of your Seagull i.e. serial number I can proberbly give you the jet numbers so you can check if you want.

I have a couple of old Seagulls in my shed and they have been used on many occastions.

Do keep a couple of spares with the engine

Prop spring is a must as is a spark plug

You will of course need the tools to fit them.

Always leave a little fuel in the tank otherwise the cork fuel tap can dry out and drip

There are many good sites for Seagull spares but be wary of some of the imported/cheap copies of parts.

Lastly check the oil in the gearbox, they do tend to leak a little and the oil can look a bit milky but don't worry too much, the normal oil is 90sae so quite thick and sticky.

Dave