Thursday Christchurch bay

Sinbad

A very different day -

Great Opportunity for a day off on Thursday, the promise of a perfect weather window, big tides, and lightish westerley breezes.

Well that much was true... Decided to avoid the Needles due to the big tides and potential for rollers left over from the rough weather, and headed straight out to general Xray area.

Fished from 10.00hrs to 14.30 on a flooding tide - I was amazed that it didnt change direction until well after 2nd HW, and then took ages to really get going!

Fishing however was v slow. So after 4 hours I'd had over 20 fish, but only 3 sizable whiting in the bucket - all the rest returned. weep.gif

Even moved and re-anchored twice to try further west to no avail.

By the time the ebb started and the promise of better fishing, I had two hours of water left and added four more fish. Nothing spectacular, no Cod or Rays.

The larger whiting were really full of Roe - maybe a sign of imminent departure, what with the warm water.

Whilst fishing I was 'visited' by no less than 3 trawlers, starting well inshore -presumably using 'purse nets' - one came close enough just before I headed back to have me packing up smartish and retrieving my anchor !

I heard over the radio they werent doing very well, and also heard the Needles boats were doing OK but no Cod.

Anyone else get out or hear of any reports ?

Otherwise it was good to be out in the sunshine, messing about in boats, a peaceful and relaxing day. biggrin.gif

Lets hope a few fish stay arround, or the bream arrive early.

Cheers

Paul

Nice report, Paul.

You're a lucky man to have got out. I'm not sure what the sea looks like anymore.

We're moving into that barren period of Feb and March, I suppose.

Adam and I are planning a couple of Conger trips during the lull. Maybe try getting to some of the wrecks whilst the divers are staying away.

BF