Ready, steady, cod

ChrisE

A little bird tells me that them there cod have been caught in The Solent and the first channels have been caught outside.

All we need is a weather window to prove them right :(

In poole harbour too I believe! "Codling" not lunkers!

Catch Reports from the Solent Fishing Guide Below:

15/10/13 : Johnny (Garrydog) caught a 10lb Cod, small Conger Eels and Dogfish during the day from various marks including The Spoils using Squid for bait, he says "Lovely warm day, slow on the bites until the last hour of the day.............a few dogfish, straps and then finally first cod for the year, result!"

06/10/13 : Duncan (WiltshireRam) and Pete caught Thornback, Blonde and Spotted Ray, Scad, Wrasse, Dogfish and Pout during the day from Bullock's, Spoils and Dean Tail he says "A slow day but we did get a good number of species, the best being a 11.5lb blonde. Tried for an early cod over slack but nothing doing."

06/10/13 : Mark caught Smoothhounds, Small-eyed Rays, Scad, Pout, Mackerel and Dogfish during the day using Ragworm, Squid, Mackerel, Lugworm and Cuttlefish for bait, he says "Went out Sunday from Chichester Harbour, first stop Medmerry bank, we had lsd, mackerel and small-eyed rays. Then onto south of the harbour, we had scad, pout and hounds. Weather almost perfect and not too much weed."

05/10/13 : Hugh and Ray (hchawner and Ahab) caught Bass, Pout, Dogfish and Bream during the day using Cuttlefish, Squid and Ragworm for bait, he says "Tried an inshore mark, and then further out at slack water, for cod, no bites at all, very quiet. Then tried Hayling Bay, lots of small bream, pout and dogfish, but nothing of any size, however picked up a couple bass with ragworm."

05/10/13 : John (sail&fish) caught Spotted Ray, Thornback Ray, Dogfish, Bream and Bass during the day at the New Grounds using Mackerel, Squid and Ragworm for bait, he says "Nothing big but bites all day. Little weed and sea still warm."

02/10/13 : Adam (fishface) caught Cod and Dogfish at night using Squid and Mackerel for bait, he says "Went out last night to my local central Solent mark, had plenty of dogs before my first heavy cod (over 8lb) of the season gobbled my bait."

28/09/13 : Adam (fishface) caught Bass, Whiting, Pout and Dogfish during the day using Squid for bait, he says "Went out for a few hours in the central Solent, got a lovely bass, some dogs, tiny pout and whiting, which were then used as live bait to no avail. Had Sabuka feathers out all day and caught a tiny fish on them, don't know what it was."

25/09/13 : Chris (islandgirl) and Matt caught Pout and Dogfish during the day using Mackerel for bait, he says "Lovely flat day on the water, thought we'd try a new spot mid east Solent that I saw on the sounder coming back from Selsey one day - looked interesting but clearly the fish didn't think so. Had a couple of hours on Bullock's looking for a bass but plagued by mini-pout, couple of doggies and that's it."

22/09/13 : Dave (fastliner) caught a Bass during the day using Mackerel for bait, he says "Spent the day on the the Spoil Grounds in search of an early cod, one bite all day which bit off the main line. On the way home stopped at the New Grounds and caught one bass of 4lb with the very last cast of the day, about 3 hours after HW."

I'm also getting cod fever :wacko: , I am really looking forward to the cod season this year ,I've booked the usual days off work on my favourite tides just need the weather to play ball. This years been tuff for days afloat, Every time I get a day I can actually get out fishing, the weather hasn't agreed!, so I joined Ringwood and have not taken the boat out since Aug 6th! I've not lost my touch tho :P  I've had 5 pb's this year 3 fresh 2 sea and the second biggest fish in the lake out of 3 different lakes topped by a 47lb catfish, its like turbo conger eels on carp gear!,dam those things can fight :wub:  .I hope we get a good cod run this year and good luck to all chasing them!

See you out there in November B)

James

My excitement is the new (old) outboard finally got mounted this afternoon ! It's only taken a year of scrimping to get it !

Now then, just all the cables etc to sort out and I 'should' have a reliable, economical sledge to get out there on a piggie hunt

Just checked the forecast as I've got a couple of days off next week !!!

Once again perfect timing / force 9-10 gales, thunderstorms, tornado, , etc etc !