Re Beware the bar

Member Removed

Hello I was introduced to this site as I hope to moor my 21 fast fisher down at Mudeford Quay. I hope to do a fair bit of fishing in and around the Poole Bay area and maybe a bit further as well. I have seen the bar mentioned also "the run" on this and on other sites is it realy as bad as some folk make out. I was hoping to trailer my boat down one weekend soon and have a quick bash just to test the water as it were. I could do with a few pointers as for getting in and out of "the run". Maybe if someone would like a day out on my boat they would be more than welcome and perhaps show me the best way to approch and get through. Cheers

RAY

Ray,

Happy to come out anytime and give a few pointers.

I launch from Muddiford / Wick 90% of the time and often come in at night so am aware of the potential dangers.

The harbour is very shallow, so moored boats are often only accesable at certian states of tide. Grounding therefore is a risk.

The Run isnt as bad as many make out. Yeah you have 2 major rivers Avon and Stour emptying into the sea through a 30 yard wide channel, but if you use commonsense it neednt be dangerous. Firstly the run is deceptively shallow, it apperas deep. 15' in the deepest part, mostly 5/6 foot. At peak run off spring tide you may have 6/7 knots of tide to push against, but as long as you have a decent power reserve this should be OK. A SE wind blows into the run, and this can make it a little choppy. But in 3 years of using the harbour we have never had any difficulty gettign back in. It is also well protected from the prevailing SW winds.

The Bar can be trickly. Winters especially. It is the shifting deposited sediment from the river. HW is OK and even the shallow parts have a few feet, but LW can be tricky. A plotter is of enourmous help.

Given the cheaper mooring costs (than Poole) and the variety of ground avaiable, Muddiford / Xchurch harbour is a cracking place to base your boat IMHO.

AF

Cheers for the advice Adam and as soon as we can set a date you are more than welcome to a day out. It sounds very much like Felixstow a very narrow fast moving channel with moving sand bars.How much time would you give yourselve each side of high tide for exit and return. I have an 85hp mercury strapped to the back so there should be more than enough grunt in reserve. RAY

Never seen Felixstowe, but guess it is, just alot smaller.

Give yourself at least an hour of tide either side of low as a minimum and you should be OK for depth.

It is one of those places that once you have been shown what to look out for - youll be OK.

In the summer with HW it is a lovely place to use. The Winter is just as good, just needs a little more care.

Hi Ray,

Sound comments from Adam; I'd just add one point......... does your engine have a 'power lift' to raise the prop when the water quickly shallows up ; I've found this the most useful aid as there's a lot of gravel in the Run and on the edges of the Bar.

I'd also gladly give you a few pointers and places to catch a few fish ...... any time except Feb. + March ...... when the fishing's very quiet.

Cheers,

Alun.

One other thing to bear in mind re: mooring at Mudeford, is it can be a little exposed in winter storms ( as I think Dan has found out to his cost ).

At LW many of the moorings are completely dried out, and a tender is needed to reach them ( as you are probably aware ).

I have been tempted to moor up river though around the Wick / Quomps area, but as I have sufficient space at home, I prefer to trail.

Having launched from Mudeford slipway as well as Wick now I am beginning to like Mudeford as a launch location but in the summer it gets packed and expensive so back to Wick then I think.

Alun,

I fully concur with power tilt note. I have no pwer tilt and it gets hairy running to the back of the boat to lift the engine before it hits the bottom !

Ray, for some decent marks nearby, Muddiford is a great place to moor, but be careful in strong winds as the harbour is very open and in fairly heavy storms quite a few boats break off their mooring causing havok.

When you are mooring it, there is an area of deeper water about 40 m directly out from the slip and even in high water your boat should still have a couple of feet below it, where as most of the other areas are dried out. This is where my mooring is.

Just beware of the floating boats in the wind, mine boat was mangled by one!!!

Dannyboy

Thanks for all the replys and the good advise. I have been warned about the problem of moored boats breaking free and doing damage to other boats. To use one mans words "idiots using the wrong ground tackle"When the moorings are allocated are you given a choise as to where you can moor? Would I be better further out, closer to the sea. Or closer to shore. I have suffered some vandal damage this year(2 broken windows and about half a ton of thick stinking mud all over the boat)which I am still getting off in places. Closer to the sea would be the way to go (my thinking)

RAY

Ray,

Interestingly, further out in the case of Mudeford is further from the sea in a way smile.gif

( This is because the boats are moored sort of around the corner from the entrance to the harbour. ).

Dan will be much more knowledgeable on mooring locations at Mudeford than myself though.

It sounds very much like Felixstow a very narrow fast moving channel with moving sand bars. RAY

Hi Ray biggrin.gif

I have only just moved down to Poole and know Felixstowe Ferry very well as well as the Deben Bar! ph34r.gif

Hope you enjoy this forum and the club is great as well if you are thinking of joining.

They are all a very friendly bunch and willing to help whenever they can smile.gif

Fishing is better down here than the East Coast with more species and bigger as well! wink.gif

As I said before welcome and if we ever meet up we will have to chat about marks out by Rough Towers! laugh.gif

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif