Engine Problems

budgie

Took Missus Bee out on my own today, was fishing for some mackie just off Old Harry and the engine failed to start. The engine is a 2008 Evinrude 115 ETEC and the starter motor had failed. Luckily my 5hp Auxillary started first time and I managed to limp in through the harbour and back to Davs Boatyard, though it took about 2 hours at 3-4 knots.

A big thank you must go to Portland Coastguard and the 2 small boats that came to help me as I was concerned about getting through the harbour mouth on Aux power.

This is the first time I have had a main engine fail and I am very glad I had serviced my aux engine recently and ran it up just a few weeks ago with fresh fuel.

This only validates the requirement to ensure you carry the correct level of safety equipment on board and keep it maintained. My wife often calls me a spotter for being safety conscious but better to be safe than sorry.

Just gutted that I am heading back to work in the Middle East on the 21st and the engine is going to take a week to fix, so this may be the last fishing trip till mid Jan 14 :((((

Ok, I just was wondering if by failed starter you it was that an not the solenoid or connection, brushes etc, something to look out for possibly for other users.

How many hours had it done?

I had a starting issue, but was due to low water in a battery cell, but luckily my little 50 can be pull started!

Rob

Engine has done 120 hours, but thinking about it now it has been playing up just hadn't realised what it was.

Hindsight, wonderful!

With my battery issue, I had a warning which was one of my plotters would switch off when I started the engine, I thought I just needed to clean a connection as it had been fine the week before!