Magellan Explorist XL Hand Held

Leicester Fisheagle

I have a hand held Magellan Explorist XL which I have hardly used and dates back to my tow boat days and Orkney 520. I now use it as a spare GPS. It was apparently quite a good and expensive toy when bought in 2007 and is still available.

It is fitted with a Magellan XL3 Chart XLG25X UK South-Hamburg 512gb.

Is there anyone who has experience of the Map Send Software/Updating this? It uses SD Cards rather than a direct USB Connection.

I have had a quick look on the website but keep getting refered to US Data.

Thanks.

Allan.

Hi Allan

Here is the link to the European side of their web site http://service.magellangpseurope.com/M0100/MagMainFrame.aspx

I have linked the page to your GPS on FAQ

Looking at the user manual do you still have the CD software that came with the unit as I think you will need this to transfer data between your PC and the unit.

If you would rather talk to someone here is their number

UK: +44 (0) 203 059 5748
Monday~Thursday
8:45am~5:30pm

Friday
8:45am~4:15pm

Dave

:)

Hi Dave

I do have all the software and it is loaded onto my PC and I still have the CD's. I have a preloaded SD card but I am not sure if the maps are showing the greatest detail possible, hence the update/download idea. The only way I seem to be able to link with my Pc seems to be using SD cards as there is no USB port.. I think you saw it on one of our trips. The reason I wanted more detail was that it was going to be a back up for someone bringing a boat back from Jersey and when we looked at the chart for the area there was plenty of detail on everything except depth contours as the charts seem to show mainly spot hights so I wondered if they were basic base maps. I will try the contacts you gave and may well give JG Techologies in Weymouth a ring which is where I bought it. 

You know that unless it is plug and play, which it was for the Weymouth Area, I am likely to have problems.

Tried the full range of Navionics Charts in the Plotter at Fource Four and found the Navionics Silver is the best it would take. JG Tecnologies in Weymouth are selling a few of on Ebay with the 2007 SD Card which is as near as to the Navionics Gold as you can get.for around £230. Contacted Magellan UK who confirmed this. So, I am selling it on on and bought a second hand Garmin Montana hand held which can be wired in to Radio for MMsi with Garmin G2 or used as a hand held. It should make a good back up which is portable and may prove usefull on a smaller trailered boat.

Allan.