Should all boat owners be competent?

Newboy

You wouldn't go out buy a car and drive it around unless you've been taught how to drive. So should we be allowed to 'drive' a boat without any basic skill?

I think UK is one of the few countries where any Tom, Dick and Harry can legally go out, buy a 30' 250hp cruiser and 'drive' it around without any test of competency.

In Europe a basic competent certificate is required, in Australia, you can be in control of a boat only if a qualified people gives premission and that they can take control of the boat in any given moment.

If it was to become law that you must have a (say) RYA level 1/2, would it have any bearing you you owning a boat?

Personally, I would say it'd probably have......

Kam, my reason for joining the club was to further knowledge of small boats, not just the build, but handling and fishing techniques, something which has expanded over the ten months Ive been a member.

As responsible adults, we should take charge of our own, and passengers safety whilst at sea. There are few statutes that apply to boating, most rules are enforced through the local harbour commissions. with the increase of recorded incidents by HM CG and the Police service, I believe that it wont be too long before legislation deems that all skippers are competant, as are crew. Why draw the line at charter vessels? With the advent of cheaper faster, better equipped craft, the desire for the small boat owner is to travel farther afield, increasing the elemant of risk, not just to the crew of the boat, but the rescue services who may become involved should an incident occur.

Points have been raised in the forum, regarding teach ins for boating knots etc, which I see as a superb idea, with so many memebers having a wealth of knowledge in many fields, this will only enhance both the club in general, and our reputation amongst the boat angling fraternity. I see us moving in the right direction volluntarily, not enforced by stautes, which is great.

Rich

I would certainly back some sort of requirement prior to being put into the position of taking charge of any boat that is on the water.

I believe that, like a motor cycle the qualification should depend on the size and speed of the vessel.

I know that in France you need a qualification for any boat [iCC transfers RYA level 2 to this] but above 10hp you need a higher qualification [also covered by ICC].

At times in Poole Harbour I have taken the correct action as stated by the International Rules to prevent Collisions at Sea only to have the other vessel do some thing that is 100% wrong

IE; A vessel approaching head to head that turns to port instead of Stbd.

As our waters get busier and the boats get faster we need something

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Charlie - I think you will find that below 10hp and/or a certain design speed you don't need qualifications on the continent - but there are variations in different countries as you would expect!

I will be honest and say that I don't support the general premise that everyone should be qualified to a certain level who takes a craft out on the water - basically because with a modicum of education you can get out and start experiencing and really learning but people capable of passing their Yachtmaster Exam can't know it all and will still be learning. IN other words you are never 'fully qualified' but can be extremely quickly 'basically safe'. IN this I accept that we might be agreeing when we bottom out 'modicum of education'.

Taking a boat out is a state of mind (not ZEN!) around consideration of various factors.