Southbourne Thursday

lofty

Making the most of the window tomorrow and having a play with my ff/gps humminbird of Southbourne and Hengistbury head. I'll be on ch 6 if anyone's around and feel free to pm me your prized and guarded numbers laugh.gif

Doubt there will be anything to report fishwise but I'll post either way.

Lofty

I did a bit of fly fishing yesterday afternoon .... ice was forming on the rings and eyes as I fished and my little puds got sooooooo cold !!!

50d sitting still in a yak in this weather !!

best of luck Lofty !! stay safe mate !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by pirky

Unlucky lofty , thats the way it goes sometimes . .

If i could just give you one bit of advice without it sounding condescending.

In surf launches or when there is a big shore dump try to jump on the yak like you would on a bike so you have a leg over each side giving you stability then paddle a few strokes to get straight and out of trouble before putting your feet in to the footwells.Its worked for me on some nasty launches , give it a try

Good luck if you get out at the weekend.

Regards

Ben

Southbourne has had me a couple of times Lofty, but only on the way back. Unlucky!

My tip for getting through surf, walk the Kayak out (from the front) until clear of the shore dump. If necessary, swim it out, and do a reentry to get aboard. If trying to mount in or before the waves, then sooner or later you'll have the Kayak broach, either due to the stern being stuck on the beach and/or the force of the wave pushing the bow sideways.

Watched a SINK paddler walk his Kayak out through surf while being held upside down above his head, then did a rolled reentry to get away, very impressive. No good for us though.