Bristol Channel Codding 08/01/12

Overrun

Really fancied Dunster, but hey, one bit of the Bristol Channel is much like another. After an insanely early start to catch the tide and avoid the dreaded mud, arrived at Blue Anchor to find Lureman patiently waiting. A quick con-flab and we convinced ourselves the F3-4 westerly wouldn't be an issue. Sea was the usual soupy affair with occasional brown/white tops.

Fishboy and Oggy soon arrived and we made our way out. Plan for day was fish seaward of the reef during the ebb, scout the reef at LW then stay put for the flood. Stuart(Oggy) disappeared offshore while Dave(Fishboy), Steve(Lureman) and myself set-up just off the reef. Tide was surprisingly weak, we'd probably missed the peak of the ebb. Steve first-up, Thornback around 5lb followed by 2 Whiting, largest knocking on 2lb. Conditions moderated a little, wind more of an annoyance than a problem. Sport slow, a few niggly bites on huge baits, LW duly arrived and we headed for the reef. Shallows required careful negotiation to avoid being clobbered by the swell. Inside the reef, there's an area of soft mud bordered by the rocks, only on the BA side.

Lunch was called and we landed on the reef, then continued to fish, first bit of shore fishing in ages! The wind relented over lunch, typical!

user posted image

Back on the water and we headed to the Watchet side of the reef, the bottom solid according to my paddle. Only 1.5m of water, but this would be 11.5m at HW. Steve getting snagged from the off. I actually had a decent bite, followed by the fish charging off across the tide in scalded cat fashion, got be Bass, or possibly even a late Smut? No, small Codling, 3lb or so.

user posted image

Dave and Steve set-off for the muddy patch, good plan, I waited until the reef was nearly covered and followed (bad plan). Anchored alongside the reef and in-line with the guys, not a pleasant place as the swell pushed-up over, and dumped in the tank-well from time to time, nice.

Stu appeared from off-shore with tales of Thornbacks a plenty to 7lb, while he was anchoring I connected with another small one, all of 1.5lbs:

user posted image

laugh.gif Obviously likes his food, hope to meet again in a few years time assuming he doesn't burst!

Made a concerted effort to hook a Whiting and it payed off, 15:00 and the wind had given me a pain in the neck, headed in for an early bath, bad move! dry.gif

5 minutes later and Dave (the old fish magnet) avoided the blank in style with a decent fish, Dave's pic:

user posted image

9lb 10ozs

Doh! laugh.gif

Great to see all the guys again, looking forward to next time!

Cheers

James

Edited by Overrun