Shimano TLD 15 and 15/30

Ed Bray

Hi Eddie,

I have a TLD 10, which is excellent despite being over 15 years old and plenty of use.

Even though this is smaller than the 15s and 20s available now ...... I find it a bit on the biggish size for the inshore fishing around here [ esp. using modern braid].

I find I'm using my TSM speedmaster reels more; even though designed as a casting reel for beach fishing , they are tough and rugged. Coming to the point, these reels have a Stardrag .... but ....unlike Abu style drags, they have a rapid , clutch-like action..... full to min. drag in about 3/4 turn; this almost like a lever drag action when 'tuned' to setting required.

Only down side I've found is the disengage lever gets clogged up with salt deposits and grime after a year or two and needs a complete dismantle, clean and regrease. ........ but they go back together easily.

Alun.

Hi Alun,

I at present have a 6500 c3 cs sports mag that I use with 10lb braid on 12lb uglystick, and a 7000 c4 ld that I use on my 20lb class rod. I have just ordered a TLD 15 and TLD 20 that I will use on 30lb and 50lb class outfits respectively.

I only expect to use the TLD 20 for Sharking so it will not get a lot of use but I think I will use the TLD 15 a lot for conger and wrecking.

I am in the process of fineing down my tackle and keeping it more appropriate to my angling needs at present (all beach stuff either sold or up for sale).

Regards, Eddie.

I have a TLD15 and TLD20.

The 15 is use for general rough ground fishing, bass, conger, ray, pirking etc. It sits on 30lb Abu and is perfectly matched. I love the smooth lever drag and it is very light. I am currently looking for another.

The 20 is on a 50lb Abu and gets used for heavy duty only. Tope in deep fast water, big eels and codding in big solent tides, good as the 15, but a little more cumbersome.

I havent got a TLD10, but have the newer replacement which is the Charter Special 1000LD. This is on a 12lb Abu and is my favourite set up of the lot. I have had eels to 40 on this as well as 12oz red mullet and each still gave a great fight - a truely versatile set up.

H Adam,

That seems similar to what I am intending using mine for. I think it is important to have balanced outfits, both for fun and for the fishes well being, those that are not being kept for the pot and are being returned, they at least have a chance if theyre not winched up too quickly.

Regards, Eddie