Bristol Channel website...

domino

Nice one Alan, biggrin.gif

That brings back a few memories. I was born and Bred in Weston Super Mare and learnt to fish there with my Dad on his boat.

But as soon as I was old enough I started to travel south with mates to fish from shore and boat around the minehead area.

Check out the small boats page guys, some interesting free to launch slips.

the locals usually launch on or around HW and fish down and back up to get a long Day,

Just be aware that by doing so, you have nowhere to go if the weather changes.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Hi folks,

I've fished a couple of holidays in the area around Minehead. Main problem with fishing across the low water is that the tidal range leaves you nowhere to run if the wind shifts onshore. Conversely, you can sit under the cliffs in an offshore gale and be perfectly comfortable.

As for slips, Minehead is a fiver or so to launch, there's a nasty kink halfway down that'd be fun to reverse around and you've water on the slip for 2-5 hours depending on the tide size. Parking is cash and flash, not cheap. There is firm sand at the base, a 4x4 could probably launch safely for much of the tide and moorings may be available.

Further up-coast, the new development at Watchet has visitors moorings and a huge slip but the gates lock when the tide drops and I suspect the cost will be high.

Porlock Wier slips are all blocked with rotting hulks but you can launch into the inner harbour over packed cobbles. On a neap tide, you might not have enough water to do this easily. Launch is a fiver IF you can find the Harbourmaster, parking is cash and flash again and limited in high summer. Once afloat, you can get in and out of harbour two hours either side at best. Paul will often have moorings available at 5 quid a day.

Lynmouth has a workable slip but it'd be a brave man who'd tow a boat down those hills.

Basically, it can be done but isn't easy. the speed at which the water level drops has to be seen to be believed.

Steve