Needles 11/12/10

Overrun

With the reports coming from the area over the last couple of weeks, would be rude to miss an opportunity for a decent Cod. Planned for the Saturday window from mid-week only to be reminded by 'her in doors' that Friday night would be out late, so that was that, maybe Sunday. Richi phoned Friday evening and said how about it? Knew it was to be an early launch, but 4:00! Said I was a no-go due to late night, ..but never say never, so after a couple of hours sleep, up at 4.00 and 30 minutes to the launch. biggrin.gif

Paintfly (Kevin) and Richi both close to launch as I arrived, hastily set-up and we were away. Bit too hasty as they'd both packed sails. Got to Hurst Castle and had to make a stop on the beach (no log pod) said I'd catch them-up.

Paddled to catch-up, plus the ebb wasn't strong as approaching LW. Finally caught-up around two thirds of the way there, and they they were, laid back sailing. rolleyes.gif Arrived at the Needles around 07:15, still dark and quite spooky. Stuck to my original plan which was fish about a mile south, Kevin and Richi went on another mile.

Sunrise:

user posted image

The flood began and with it a procession of Whiting and Daddy Pout coming to the baited giant Hokkai, nothing huge. Whiting live bait was alternated for 4 Squid and Lug wrap. Feet were getting cold. Had a visit from one of the boat fisherman, very friendly, wondered if I was Richi, pointed him in the general direction.

Just after 10:00, too cold to just sit there, started getting ready for the journey back. The plan was to meet at the Needles for 11:00. Thought something was not right with the anchor, and sure enough, dragged over the last hour or so, at around 1knot, so now a mile south and east of the Needles. Retrieved the anchor and noted a drift speed of 1.5 knots, bugger, a 45 minute paddle back to the Needles followed. Kevin was heading back too, paused at the Needles while he and Richi caught-up.

The journey back wasn't quick (unless you had a sail) late in the flood so only 2.5 knots drifting. Paddled all the way, plus the wind sending me towards the IOW, so paddled at right angles to the current. Trap quiet, only one sloppy brace required. Stopped off at Hurst Castle for a break before the final leg along the back bars and up to Keyhaven.

The Lads:

user posted image

Another epic trip in great company, really enjoyed it, paddled pretty much all of 12 miles and landed back fit and warmed nicely. Shame not one of us managed a Cod, from the anglers we spoke to and the VHF traffic, it seemed many were experiencing a slow day, but that's fishing.

Take the sail next time, it was in the Van!

Nuts - completely nuts!

Love the sunrise pic!

"had to make a stop on the beach (no log pod) said I'd catch them-up." - didnt realise there was a public convenience on the beach!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Imagine how much more difficult the return paddle would have been with a brace of 30's onboard! you got away lightly!

Nice to see that all round white light on the Yak - do most use them?

Thanks for the good read.

Rob

"had to make a stop on the beach (no log pod) said I'd catch them-up." - didnt realise there was a public convenience on the beach!!  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Imagine how much more difficult the return paddle would have been with a brace of 30's onboard! you got away lightly!

Nice to see that all round white light on the Yak - do most use them?

Rob

I've discarded my bait bucket now, doesn't seem quite the same laugh.gif

No room onboard, have to tow them in smile.gif

There's a few about, we like to be seen.

Cheers

James

Edited by Overrun