Southampton water.......

alun j.

Went to the Boat show last Sat. ........ taking the ferry from Hythe. It was a blustery day with wind topping Force 5 from SW. yet here was a good long stretch of water with barely a ripple on our side. The chart shows how the shallow shore quickly drops into the deep shipping channel. Anyone know anything about the fishing potential ??

As these windy days continue...... it would be good to find a few alternatives to be able to get out and expect more than a procession of crabs and tiddlers.

On Sat. there were a few shore anglers on Hythe marina wall [ not much action!!] and a few guys in a very small dinghy on the edge of the main channel [ catching small bass as we went by on the ferry].

Hythe has a useful looking [ free ] slipway....... but charge to park ; and there are a few more between there and Eling [ according to the boatlaunch website].

Solent fishing guide website makes no reference to fishing up in Soton. water; is this a relection of poor potential ???

Any comments / info. gratefully received.......

Tight lines,

Alun.

Solent Fishing Guide does have a section on Western shore, I think it's under beach. Mainly flounders and small bass.

Hythe has a very good slip, the only problem I see is that it hasn't a plontoon to load up your kit.

There's also fuel in the marina and I think parking/berthing for the day is very reasonable.

If you motor across the river, the stretch between the Hamble and hillend is also good for a mixture of fish. I fish there a few time when I had the Shetland, only problem is crabs robbing your bait.

Alun, growing up in Hythe, we fished the reclaimed land before it became Hythe Marina, excellent flattie ground, mainly flounders. I used to longline off the left side of hythe pier, best bag was 112 flounders in a day!!

If you drive up to Marchwood, try down a little lane called Magazine lane, need a 4x4 to reach the end, good here for small whiting and flatties.

If you go farther up, right up to the mouth of the test, in front of the Bridges, excellent Bass sport is to be had here......regular fish over 10lb for the early risers!!

regards, Rich