Flushing Engine on dry mooring

wrigler

The topic of engine flushing on a mooring made me evaluate my proceedure of connecting a hose to the hose connector on my engine and running the engine to flush it . From advice from the forums that this proceedure doesn't fully flush the whole engine, I decided to check my service agent for his advice. He catagoricaly states that this connection shouldn't be used when the engine is running as the impeller could be damaged because of lack of lubrication. The only safe way of flushing is to use Muffs from the bottom end of the outboard. Terry

I always follow the manual, which says flush with the engine on tick over with the muffs, or use the flush connection with the engine stopped.

The main problem with flushing using the hose connection is the thermostat doesnt get flushed so eventually cakes up with salt. But when you have an outboard and a swinging mooring, the only way I have so far is to use the bait tank and deckwash pump with fresh water and the hose connection.

I've not had any problems with this arrangement for the last 3 years.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

Paul