My Saturday

lofty

Got down to Branksome beach at 6.20. Watched the sun up over IOW and put out.

The sea was horrible yesterday with big breakers to get through.Went out about 500 yards and paddled against a gentle tide and breeze to just passed the studland dene. The swell was disgusting in my little tek,maybe 3 to 5 feet. Tried spinning on the way down and caught some mackeral wth a dexter.Then for an hour tried to fish squid for something but gave up on that.Then spent an hour with feathers and caught lots of mackeral between branksome and the next chine,opposite the pink house on the cliff was best,oh and a 8 inch gurnard which went back with the smaller macks. By this time the swell made me feel a bit yeewy so called it a lumpy day and took my dinner home.

Hope this is useful,as im a newbie to this site.

Toodle pip

Lofty sick.gif

ps. the macks only took the bottom white feather with blue band?????????????

post-165-1283680355jpg

Nice one Lofty ..... Always good to hear about others experiences....You are a brave man to try it in the conditions...well done mate........don't be too brave though ....Safety in numbers and there are loads of Yaks in the club that are willing to buddie up. Even if you stay close in it would be good to have someone on the shore watching out for you !!

Stay safe and enjoy

thanks for the report

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Toying wiyh going out early on Saturday but the tide is flooding pretty big so not sure where to go or what to try for?.I like to go at 6ish as I can get back by 11 .Thinking about launching at baiter and staying in the harbour. Any ideas?What would you try?

Toying wiyh going out early on Saturday but the tide is flooding pretty big so not sure where to go or what to try for?.I like to go at 6ish as I can get back by 11 .Thinking about launching at baiter and staying in the harbour. Any ideas?What would you try?

I would stay clear of the harbor on a big Tide,unless you fish the upper reaches at Holton Heath.But that doesnt come to life until October.Plus Low tide is at around 7 - 8am so there wont be much water in the harbor.

A few of us are planning to launch at the end of the Prom(Southbourne) at around 6.30am Sunday and fish round the Double Dyke outlet Pipe.Feel free to come along if you want.

Cheers for the offer,got commitments on Sunday though.What are you fishing for and what bait will you use? Do you think it might be worth spinning along the training bank on Saturday ,or would you try other methods and baits along shell bay,middle beach? Thanks for any advice as i'm making it up as I go along. Also,reel maintenance? I've bollocked up my reel as I,m not sure what sort of maintenance to give it after a sea fish. Any advice?

Regards

Lofty smile.gif

Cheers for the offer,got commitments on Sunday though.What are you fishing for and what bait will you use? Do you think it might be worth spinning along the training bank on Saturday ,or would you try other methods and baits along shell bay,middle beach? Thanks for any advice as i'm making it up as I go along. Also,reel maintenance? I've bollocked up my reel as I,m not sure what sort of maintenance to give it after a sea fish. Any advice?

Regards

Lofty smile.gif

Hiya Lofty.

Just going out to get some mackerel then see if any Gurnard are around.

If you go to the training bank Saturday try keeping to the shell bay/Studland side of the rocks and use some surface poppers.Cast towards the rocks at high tide.

You can also fish next to the main shipping channel for plaice.But I personally wouldnt do that on a weekend this time of year nor on such a big tide.

If its a multiplier reel you have it strips down easily.I clean the bearings in Lighter fuel.Just put some lighter fuel in an egg cup and drop your bearings in.The rest of the reel I wash in soapy water then lightly oil the spindel.But keep the oil away from the drag/Break plates.Then oil/grease the cogs.There are some sites on the internet that show you what to do.If your still unsure I will show you what to do then you could keep them maintained yourself.

But if its a fixed spool reel you have they dont last long being used in a kayak sad.gif

Dont use WD40 it causes more harm than good.It strips away all the oil and grease.

Edited by Zzippy