Decline in fish stocks

pirky

Good point the "50% increase on a stock level which is only 2% of that previously = 3% of that previously".

Also it is easy to blame the Common Fisheries Policy and I think actually quite convenient, since it is popular to blame the EU for the lack of fish and in my opinion the commercials know this so push the agenda as "the good old british fishing fleet" versus "the fish raping spanish/french" etc.

I suggest the book Cod: A Biography of the Fish that changed the world should be a "Must read" as it shows the phenomenal decline in cod stocks on the Grand Banks and no prizes for guessing what was to blame .....

Paul

The (very) recent Atlantic Blue Fin Tuna issues sum it up all too starkly - any value stock simply becomes a race to destruction.......... interested parties have yet to illustrate any capability to support anything else.

I believe its Mitsiubushi (SP?) that has a warehouse full of Tuna, thousands of tonnes of the stuff waiting for the stock to run out so its value will increase dramatically.

Whilst i wouldnt own a Mitsiubushi for this reason i dare say they make many of the electrical components in my house.

It does not say a great deal about us as a race does it weep.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/n...et-1695479.html

At the risk of inflaming the commercial guys, who I know work very hard for a living, it is about time that we adopted a 'no nets' policy within 3 miles of the shore. It has paid phenomenal dividends in Florida, it could do the same here.

Such a policy would benefit both us, the leisure angler, and the commercials as it would create a secure breeding area for thier stock, the same way that the bass conservation areas have contributed to the bass explosion over the past 10 years.

At least we have made a start with marine conservation areas.